78-79 Transmission Crossmember Removal, Ideas ?? - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
mamerz

Bronco Info: `96 351 E4OD , `90 302 AOD, `77 302 C4,
78-79 Transmission Crossmember Removal, Ideas ??

Seems like I always struggle getting the crossmember in and out of my `78. Any mods or ideas short of a torch?
mamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
79Broncoboy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ford Bronco ranger XLT. Frame off restoration. 351M rebuilt with 3,200 miles. 3 inch suspension
Smile whats the exact problem?

I'm not sure wether your problem lies within getting the bolts out or just physically getting the crossmember out from between the frame rails but ill try my best to lend some advice! If its the bolts your having a problem with id suggest soaking them with a penetrating oil for a day or two before you have to get them out, I use a product called kroil. Its a industrial type penetrating oil that my buddy gets at work and let me tell you it works...( I had a tailgate latch rusted solid and I sprayed it on there and after a day it worked fine...and that's after I allready tried pb blaster and wd40...its amazing stuff! ) I'm not sure wether you can buy it outright tho...id google it. Another problem I had before getting a crossmember out was in my cousins 70s stepside short bed..it was like the frame had it stuck in place! We had to use a bottle jack and a 4by4 to just slightly spread the frame to get it free. A port a power would be much more usefull but I didn't have one handy! ... hope this helps bud like I said I don't know what exact problem your having or your level of mechanical knowlege but I was just throwin those suggestions out there
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
mamerz

Bronco Info: `96 351 E4OD , `90 302 AOD, `77 302 C4,
Bolts are not my problem. I have used a porta-power before to get them out, but I dont have access to one now. Is this the only answer? No one has tried to modify the crossmember to make installation easier?
mamerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
79Broncoboy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ford Bronco ranger XLT. Frame off restoration. 351M rebuilt with 3,200 miles. 3 inch suspension
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to modify the crossmember! Here is what I did ! Once I got the crossmember out I set it in place as best I could without the frame being spread. I then eyed it up best as I could and ground down the crossmember on one side so it would fit... start. Slowly at the top of the crossmember then keep grinding lower as you test fit it inch by inch.... seems like a bit of work but not really and you wont ever have to do it again.....this is just how I did it!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Ziggy
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Ford installed two sheet metal screws on the top of the cross member (something to do with the assembly line I'm) that even after you have all the bolts out, will prevent the cross member from being removed. Granted the cross member is still a PIA to remove due to the location and tying in with the radius arm brackets, but it comes out a little easier.
3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
79Broncoboy

Mine never had those screws....the p.o. mustve removed them! Well given you don't have much room a torch would probably be the way to go. A plasma cutter would work quite nice there too! Can you get a air chisel in there if you don't have a torch handy?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
BigWheelz

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco, 466 EFI
I made my cross member from two cross members. It unbolts with two 5/8" bolts, allowing the radius arm mounts and crossmember to frame bolts to stay. Shaves about two hours from a trans R&R
Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Scoop
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
I had the same problem and even posted about it last weekend. If your crossmember is loose - if you can move it slightly by hand - then you just need to work it forward and eventually it will have room enough to twist and come out. It should come out easily by hand. I had to jack up on the TC until the TC or tranny was hitting the body in order to get enough clearance to move the crossmember forward of the tranny pan. Once it got in the area where the frame rails started turning up it came right out. I felt pretty stupid for struggling with it so long and then have it pop right out!

September 2012 F.O.T.M.

78 Custom EFI Build Thread

84 300 I6 Build Thread
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
redbeast9

Bronco Info: 80 BRONCO 400 NP435 NP205 Detroits , SAS, 5'' lift on 36'' TSL's
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheelz View Post
I made my cross member from two cross members. It unbolts with two 5/8" bolts, allowing the radius arm mounts and crossmember to frame bolts to stay. Shaves about two hours from a trans R&R
I have seen a mod simalar to this ( I think). They cut the crossmember at each end and then welded some plate to the center peace on eack end. Then drilled two holes in each side and used four bolts to put it back together. You get the idea... Dont have any pics but it was on a mid 70's F150 a friend had years ago.
redbeast9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Runnin'OnEmpty

Question

Does this crossmember removal problem also apply to the
manual transmissions? When I replaced the trans mounts
on mine (NP435), it looked like there was plenty of room
to access the crossmember....?
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
MUDDOG7375

<---- Drunk & not reading all of the answers so heres why...

The cross member helps hold the frame.. Is another support... You have to spread the frame some to get it in & out...

Why are you all taking it out??? I did it once till I learned its easier to pull the motor& tranny together....
MUDDOG7375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #12
Mikes79Bronco
yes

Bronco Info: 79, 460, 6.5" lift, 38" TSL Super Swampers < Thats the old...check my sig for progress thread
pull the body off the top then pull the trans from the top

Quote:
Eating chevys and shitting hemis
Mikes79Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
OX1
Fullsize Member

If you have manual trans, you can pull it up through the hole in the floor (after you remove transfer case). Tight fit, but it does go.

OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #14
Mikes79Bronco
yes

Bronco Info: 79, 460, 6.5" lift, 38" TSL Super Swampers < Thats the old...check my sig for progress thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
If you have manual trans, you can pull it up through the hole in the floor (after you remove transfer case). Tight fit, but it does go.
Nice!

Make a new cross member...That cross member sucks for removal and also for anything to do with the trans pan...

Quote:
Eating chevys and shitting hemis
Mikes79Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #15
OX1
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes79Bronco View Post
Nice!

Make a new cross member...That cross member sucks for removal and also for anything to do with the trans pan...
Yeah, I agree. I was planning on cutting 2 up and overlaying one over the other on the edges of the "flat" section. Never got around to it though.

FYI, with the man trans, the TC adapter needs to stay with TC when you remove it, then you can move trans back far enough to get it off bellhousing. After that you have 2 nice handles on either end to pull it up through floor, just make sure rear shaft/bearing does not pull out the back of case. Won't come all the way out, but it will pull somewhat out. I used to take a small piece of steel, drill a hole in it and put one bolt back in with the plate to cover edge of output bearing.

Another idea I did for trans removal cutting hole in side of tunnel to get to TC shift lever bolt. Made a plate to cover it back up.

On my wheelin rig, I even drilled holes in the floor to get to the upper frame mounted bolts. Could
put rubber plugs in them when done (not that I did, didn't care much about the holes in an offroad,
rig, just through a car mat over them).

All that stuff seems like some work, but boy is it nice the "next" time you have to pull the trans.
(or even the first time really, just a little tough to drill the holes blind)

OX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
kawi10r998cc

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 400 cid, np435, np205, 5" lift, 35" BFG mud terrains.
Just got done pulling my tranny and tcase. Just seperated the tcase and pulled it off the rear, then unbolted the tranny from the motor and it slid right off. No need to remove the crossmember...in fact the main reason I decided NOT to remove it was because of this thread right here...
kawi10r998cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1978-'79 Bronco Tech