Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

76 hiboy tear down resto mod build thread

43K views 163 replies 63 participants last post by  marshallnoise 
#1 ·
hope this is ok to post here as it isnt a bronco but i know alot of you guys here have both and like the dents. alot of knowledgeable people here that know about these trucks so i figured it it will be of interest

well the time has come to restore my beloved 76 hi boy. ive had this truck for about 5 years and its time to restore it to its former glory and even better. this is going to be a resto mod project as it will have a 94 6bt cummins for power backed by a zf5 and a 205. the right hight will be factory on 35s. this truck will see little to no off road but will see some snow. going to keep the stock axles, the d44 and the d60 but they will be rebuilt and re geared for the diesel as they have atleast 4.56's in them now possibly lower. all the rust will be fixed or replaced as necessary interior will keep a stock look for the most part, it will probably get a set of captains chairs out of a late model 250 or something ill figure that out when the time comes. the tank will be removed from the cab and installed on the frame. other then that its your basic restomod, enough blabing heres the pics thus far as i just started today.

here what i looked like a few years ago

it has since really gone down hill fast body wise. floors are rotten, fenders rotted, some pretty good rot on the bed.

anyway i picked this up a few weeks ago for it

then today i rolled it in the shop and started tearing into it

pulled this ugly ass bumper off, weighed probably 200lbs

then the grille and core along with the doors and fenders and hood

and that let me get access for the gas 5.9 that will be swaped for the diesel 5.9

all i got for today. this is gona be a long journey and im just stepping out of the house but i cant wait for the final product

See less See more
#6 ·
me too but that might be for another year!

i had originally planned to get the engine in and drive it a while but to hell with it, im this far might as well do ir right the first time

#9 ·
havent made much progress on this in the last week due to a side job i picked up, hopefully its done with in the next week or so so i can get back to my hiboy.

i did go to pick up this cab today though. all the rust has been repaired on it and it came with a swb frame, maybe ill save it for a future project.
picked it up for 500 bucks, figured it was worth it, will save me a bunch of time.

#12 ·
thanks, hope to update this tomorrow when i will finally get back to this project. hope to have the 360 out tomorrow

#15 ·
360 out!

finally getting back to this, had a gmc that i had to swap engines on which took up my spare time to work on this but now that thats gone i can get back to my truck.

well this was a little more difficult then i expected but still wasn't too bad. i wanted to pull the engine and tranny as a unit but that didnt happen, oh well. the engine is out, ended up having to pull the shitty headers off to do it but w/e, wont have to look at them damn things any more.

#16 ·
messed with the truck for a lil while after work. i had my 360 set on some tires and a bored and some how it tipped over and make i giant oily mess all over. i think the only casualty may have been the PS pump but im not all too worried since it will be quite some time before that motor makes its way back into anything. so i had to clean that mess up first, then i put the engine on a stand so it wouldnt happen again and i can wheel it around outa the way. that involved running out to get bolts and oil dry but oh well.

i then went on to tackle this POS. my only guess is it was a mount for a plow or something. took the old plasma cutter to it, man i love that tool. saved me hours with the die grinder.

plasma cutter

pos mount with shotty welds

f you, all gone

figured that was enough fun for today. getting some gaskets together and stuff so i can put my oil pan on the cummins and do the KDP fix.

#19 ·
started off the night putting a bunch of tools and stuff away and just cleaning up a bit, too much clutter to work effectively. then i wrapped up the 360 so it wont get stuff inside of it while it sits. then i started pulling off all the wires on my cummins, wont be needing much of them anyway.

most the junk off it

eww

wires!

then i started working on the kdp fix

lil bastard started to wiggle its way out

tapped it back into place

then i "penned" the edge of the hole slightly in 3 places to keep it from coming out again

#23 ·
On the show trucks. They made a tab and used that bolt next to hole to hold the pin in.

Nice Truck!
yeah, seen it done that way too. this was just eaiser for me. thanks man

#25 ·
mileage, power, sound, cool factor. i love the cummins and have wanted one for a while but dont like dodges. there fore im building what no one makes.

#29 ·
oh.. duh.. haha well i have my dumb moments sometimes.

cummins i'd say is the best diesel out there by far. power strokes sound like there gonna fall apart. duramax just isnt a very good engine in my opinion. and im not a big fan of dodges either. except for the challenger, charger, and the ramcharger. those were the coolest i think. its kinda funny im the only one with a ford in my family. my parents have dodges. my sister has a dodge. and my brother doesnt drive yet. come to think of it, maybe its not that i dont like em, maybe im just tired of seeing all these dodges in the driveway.

but ya know what they say! i'd rather be cummin than strokin!

#31 ·
well i have been fooling with it when i can during the week, but the cold weather really dosnt motivate me much. last weekend i swapped the adapter plates and pulled off the automatic dodge tranny cooler thing, wont be needing those.

old stuff

new adapter

also pulled off the AC compressor which was tougher then anticipated. luckily i didnt need it because it is now destroyed. the 2 upper bolts came out just fine. the lower 2 had mega dissimilar metal corrosion between the ac compressor and bolts. the heads broke off with the impact so i had to grind a slot in the bottom along the bolt and crack it to pieces to get it off. it did not wana give up. oh well, more for the scrap yard! lol.

whats left

my stupid oil pan bolts finally came along with the gasket and pick up tube. my engine didnt come with any of that or the pan its self so i finally collected it all and got it put on so i could try and stick it in place and find out how much i need to notch out the cross member.

#32 ·
then i started fitting the new mounts chasetruck made up

pulled the 435 out

the new zf

a glimpse at the future!

#33 ·
well had a little free time to take out all the crap i had int he bed which included the majority of the parts ive taken off or have waiting for it. took the tool box, bed mat and bed liner out and here is my findings....not good

with tool box and liner

bunch o shit

while walking around in the bed taking crap out i could hear what sounded like 2 seems of metal creaking together in this area

this would be the reason why

and a few more holes up front

this is either the cause, or the half assed repair

so i will not be using this bed as every single part would need repair, which also means ill be using almost NONE of the original body. i should have started with something better but oh well. any one want a free bed? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.