Fitting solid front axle in an f-150 - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
bigern26

Fitting solid front axle in an f-150

Hello all, I have been doing some reading and searching here and some other sites, but I cannot find the info I am looking for.

I have a 1991 F-150 and I want to throw in a solid front axle with leaf springs.
I do not care if I have to go 8 bolt. Heck I would rather go 8 bolt!!

Is there any leaf spung front axle that is a direct bolt in to a 91 f-150?
Also would the steering be the same also?

Thanks for any help
Ernie
bigern26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
lifeizhard102205
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 351W, SAS'd 44, 37" Hummvee tires, 10.25 rear, smittybilt 12k winch homemade mount
get a dana 60 from and f-350 of the same era. it's as close to a direct bolt in as you're gonna get. you'll still have to punch out all the rivets that hold the ttb in place. if you go to a pick a part junk yard you can pull everything from the leaves to the hubs at once. then pay whatever they charge. usually it's a hella cheap to do it that way. case in point-my dana 44 i pulled from a 79 bronco i yanked the coils, radius arms, axle, tie rod, drag link and trac bar all for a whopping $50. if they pulled it it wouldve been over $400. you'll need the spring perches and mounts still.
lifeizhard102205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
bigern26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeizhard102205 View Post
get a dana 60 from and f-350 of the same era. it's as close to a direct bolt in as you're gonna get. you'll still have to punch out all the rivets that hold the ttb in place. if you go to a pick a part junk yard you can pull everything from the leaves to the hubs at once. then pay whatever they charge. usually it's a hella cheap to do it that way. case in point-my dana 44 i pulled from a 79 bronco i yanked the coils, radius arms, axle, tie rod, drag link and trac bar all for a whopping $50. if they pulled it it wouldve been over $400. you'll need the spring perches and mounts still.
Awesome thanks for the info, Will the perches and mounts work from the F350?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
lifeizhard102205
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1993 EB 351W, SAS'd 44, 37" Hummvee tires, 10.25 rear, smittybilt 12k winch homemade mount
they should yes. lots of guys on here have done the swap in just a weekend. the frames are very similar so if you can get everything taken off the f350 then it should all bolt up to the f150. you may have to do some minor welding for the perches. the shackles should bolt right up. theres a few threads on here in the sas section doing what youre wanting to do.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
lifeizhard102205
Fullsize Member

heres a link to get you started. completely bolted on. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...af+sprung+dana
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
bigern26

Thanks for the link and the info. Now I can search for a F350 in the local yards!!

I did some reading and searching but never found one that was about direct bolt in. thanks again for the link.

I was kinda hoping older stuff would work cause thats easier to find but i will see what I can dig up!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
lifeizhard102205
Fullsize Member

it may but i'd go with one from the same era. that insures that things like the frames are all the same, mounting points for things that'll get in the way of the axle (engines, trannys) are where they're supposed to be.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Drew2010

If you go coils to leafs there is no such thing as a bolt in. the previous thread link is bolted but thats a 500 dollar kit. I just put a solid 8 bolt dana 44 in my 1996 F150. i made my front mounts and had to reposition the spring perches. generally with any sas theres some fabrication required. especially when u go coil to leaf
Sterling 10.25 rear
Drew2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
gijoe4500

Bronco Info: 1995 F150 single cab, short bed 2wd with a 300/5spd 6" ProComp lift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2010 View Post
If you go coils to leafs there is no such thing as a bolt in. the previous thread link is bolted but thats a 500 dollar kit. I just put a solid 8 bolt dana 44 in my 1996 F150. i made my front mounts and had to reposition the spring perches. generally with any sas theres some fabrication required. especially when u go coil to leaf
You had to reposition the spring perches because you went with an older dana 44. The dana 60s from the late 80s and 90s have wider spring perches from the factory.
gijoe4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
Dan Theman
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
this is where your question belongs http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=88021
And this is where you should look for info http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24977
Some won't mind spoon feeding you. Some find it quite annoying.
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
bigern26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
this is where your question belongs http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=88021
And this is where you should look for info http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24977
Some won't mind spoon feeding you. Some find it quite annoying.
Sorry I offended you by posting a general to the point question in what you think is the wrong section for this type of question.

I also did read most of the info in the link you posted but I did not see anything that had a direct bolt in using leafs, Sorry I must have missed it.

I am sorry if I annoyed everyone by asking my original question.
I figured that since I was not asking a question like "how do I put a solid axle in my truck" but instead I asked a specific question about the specs I gave on my truck that it would be better suited in the Forum area not a already filled up thread.

Sorry.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Dan Theman
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern26 View Post
Sorry I offended you by posting a general to the point question in what you think is the wrong section for this type of question.

I also did read most of the info in the link you posted but I did not see anything that had a direct bolt in using leafs, Sorry I must have missed it.

I am sorry if I annoyed everyone by asking my original question.
I figured that since I was not asking a question like "how do I put a solid axle in my truck" but instead I asked a specific question about the specs I gave on my truck that it would be better suited in the Forum area not a already filled up thread.

Sorry.
Every single d60 sas thread covers what year truck it came out of, and what needs to be done in order to get it under your bronco. There is much discussion as to witch years work better, and why. I feel like your question is slightly more specific than a how do I put this axle in my truck thread. The people that enjoy answering these questions read the newb section regularly. If all else fails, find a rig that you want to copy, and pm the owner questions. Don't worry. I will tire of this soon, as it seems to happen more frequently. Sorry about your bruised ego.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
bigern26

Quote:
Every single d60 sas thread covers what year truck it came out of, and what needs to be done in order to get it under your bronco. There is much discussion as to witch years work better, and why. I feel like your question is slightly more specific than a how do I put this axle in my truck thread. The people that enjoy answering these questions read the newb section regularly. If all else fails, find a rig that you want to copy, and pm the owner questions. Don't worry. I will tire of this soon, as it seems to happen more frequently. Sorry about your bruised ego.
LOL Bruised my ego? I think I must have bruised yours.

I am sorry if you get sick of people posting questions in a section devoted to them questions. It seems like you are posting in the threads telling people to use link to the newbie thread and other stickies. Why not just answer their questions? Isn't that what forums are for?

Seems like you don't even read the posts because I don't even have a bronco, as stated in my original posts.

I am glad the forums are not filled with people like you cause there would never be any help or info out there for people to gain from.

lifeizhard102205 was kind enough to help me out and I thank him greatly for it.

And I did not come here trying to find someone to copy I came to find information on bolting a solid front axle into my truck using a leaf sprung donor with little to no extra costs.
I do not have a problem making parts but its cheaper for me to buy everything from the same vehicle than to have to keep trying to find certain parts.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Drew2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe4500 View Post
You had to reposition the spring perches because you went with an older dana 44. The dana 60s from the late 80s and 90s have wider spring perches from the factory.
yes, i know, the pre 80's were 32 inch spacing and 80 and newer is 36 inch. This still does not change whether or not its a bolt in.
Sterling 10.25 rear
Drew2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
Dan Theman
Banned

Quote:
LOL Bruised my ego? I think I must have bruised yours.

I am sorry if you get sick of people posting questions in a section devoted to them questions. It seems like you are posting in the threads telling people to use link to the newbie thread and other stickies. Why not just answer their questions? Isn't that what forums are for?

Seems like you don't even read the posts because I don't even have a bronco, as stated in my original posts.

I am glad the forums are not filled with people like you cause there would never be any help or info out there for people to gain from.

lifeizhard102205 was kind enough to help me out and I thank him greatly for it.

And I did not come here trying to find someone to copy I came to find information on bolting a solid front axle into my truck using a leaf sprung donor with little to no extra costs.
I do not have a problem making parts but its cheaper for me to buy everything from the same vehicle than to have to keep trying to find certain parts.

It doesn't matter if it is going into a bronco or f-150, the front half of the frame is the same. The newb section states that it is for people who don't want to look. That would be you. I can't waste my time getting irritated by every newbtard that can't or won't read. If you could just unbolt the front end, and bolt it up under your f-150, then why would everyone be doing all this fabrication? Have you ever looked under an f-350? Do you think before you type? Did you eat paint chips as a child? I hope your build turns out exactly the way you want it.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
bigern26

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it is going into a bronco or f-150, the front half of the frame is the same. The newb section states that it is for people who don't want to look. That would be you. I can't waste my time getting irritated by every newbtard that can't or won't read. If you could just unbolt the front end, and bolt it up under your f-150, then why would everyone be doing all this fabrication? Have you ever looked under an f-350? Do you think before you type? Did you eat paint chips as a child? I hope your build turns out exactly the way you want it.
So your saying that lifeizhard102205 is wrong by telling me a early to mid 90s front end will bolt to my frame?

Also if you read my original post you will find that I did state that I did read and I also did a few searches and I came up with no info on a DIRECT BOLT IN.
That would be why I asked here.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #17
LarryP
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
You did not find any info on a direct bolt in (((Cause no such thing exist))) After all the research planning thinking replanning and thinking about it some more you can get started. There is going to be Fab work involved no matter what you do or come up with. No one that has not done this before is going to do it in a weekend and get it done right and SAFE. Yes a mid 90's axle will bolt in,after you do all the Fab work for it to bolt to. He is not telling you to just Copy someone Else's build but to use it as a guideline for yours and for you to see what is going to be involved in doing this swap.

Your ?? does belong in the newb section.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
LarryP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
Dan Theman
Banned

Quote:
So your saying that lifeizhard102205 is wrong by telling me a early to mid 90s front end will bolt to my frame?

Also if you read my original post you will find that I did state that I did read and I also did a few searches and I came up with no info on a DIRECT BOLT IN.
That would be why I asked here.
lifeizhard102205 told you what to get, not that it will bolt right in. Then in his second post, he was speculating, not speaking from experience. Did you notice that I have a '90 d60 under my bronco? Think of reading about how I or countless others did it? There are even pictures. There is even a whole section, with multiple leaf sas threads grouped together, so that you can find it. Here it is again, You should read it all. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24977. Once again, there is no DIRECT BOLT IN. If you want to be spoon fed stay in the newb section.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
bigern26

I do think I need to be spoonfed atleast for a lil bit!!!

I did read some of your build thread and did notice that you ran rear springs up front. Plus you are going for lift I am not.

I should have clarified that.
I do not want go go anymore than 3'' over stock height, this is a plow truck.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
Dan Theman
Banned

Quote:
I do think I need to be spoonfed atleast for a lil bit!!!

I did read some of your build thread and did notice that you ran rear springs up front. Plus you are going for lift I am not.

I should have clarified that.
I do not want go go anymore than 3'' over stock height, this is a plow truck.
Like I said, that's what the newb section is for. Most say that the minimum lift for a sas is 4". 6-7" is more realistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps