Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Seattle FSB Level 10 PTS Bulletproof E4OD

34K views 56 replies 27 participants last post by  Mr_Will 
#1 ·
Knowing that the stock E4OD and Torque Converter are not adequate for a new 408 Stroker with high torque, I have resigned to the fact that it will rapidly fail at some point similar to the rapid destruction of my 8.8 Pinion Gear.

To be pro-active, I have ordered a custom built Level 10 PTS Performance Transmission w/custom built Torque Converter. Level 10 owner Pat Barrett personally consulted on the design. :twotu:

The Level 10 PTS Bulletproof E4OD Transmission is being custom built from scratch, computer graphed and designed specifically for my engine specs and dyno tune. It will have high-energy performance clutches & bands, modified high output Pump, modified shift Solenoid and custom valve body modifications.

The Level 10 PTS Billet Torque Converter is also being custom built in-house for my application with a custom pump, stator and turbine. It will have billet internals combined with an anti balloon plate and a high-performance lock-up clutch. It was recommended to tighten up the stall speed a bit, but at this point I am not sure what was exactly settled on.

The new custom E4OD will be installed alongside the existing Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan (16 + 7.5 quarts), B&M Racing 29,200 BTU Transmission Oil Cooler, Perma-Cool Remote Transmission Oil Filter Mount, Transmission/Differential Temperature Gauges and will run exclusively with Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

See the following Off-Road Magazine Article: Level 10 Transmissions - Build The Best Off Road Tranny You Can

See less See more
#3 ·
$3298.00 for the custom E4OD (no core) and $1198.00 for the custom Torque Converter. Prices are posted on their web-site.

This one is built from scratch, but they will rebuild your core for $2498.00, less torque converter. Heck, I paid $2600.00 to a local transmission shop for my last stock rebuild w/torque converter.

It is worth it to me considering both my engine and future mods in planning. :thumbup

#4 ·
$3498.00 for the custom E4OD (no core) and $1198.00 for the custom Torque Converter. Prices are posted on their web-site.

It is worth it to me considering both my engine and future mods in planning. :thumbup
Feels painful to read that, but when the time comes to repace mine (again) I would be willing to throw some money at it like that. The feeling of having a bullet proof E4OD would be well worth it... :thumbup

#6 · (Edited)
Looks good, hope it performs well. You certainly don't skimp on quality.

Unfortunately:cry my plans have been sped up some so I will be starting my swap soon. I just wish I had your wallet/checkbook to cover a rebuild like this for mine. :banghead Although in reality from some of the prices I see quoted on here, that really isn't that unreasonable. (I need to check my area to see if these prices are comparable.) If it performs as expected it will be money well spent!

Let us know when you get it installed and how she does.

tim

Does that price include shipping?

#7 ·
If it performs as expected it will be money well spent!
I am not looking at this as how much money can I spend, but more as dependability with my application.

I have had three complete E4OD rebuilds in the 20 years that I have owned the truck. With the new 408 Stroker, I feel that investing in the E4OD now will limit my exposure to an unplanned breakdown or expense.

I would have sat on it for a while but the quickly destroyed 8.8 pinion gear opened my eyes to the drivetrain requirements of high torque. And it is widely known among performance builders that a stock E4OD will not hold up in performance applications.

Does that price include shipping?
Shipping was $256.00 from Hardyston, New Jersey to Seattle, Washington. Insurance was an additional $79.00. No tax.

#10 ·
I have an older fourwheeler or something or other that has a good article about rebuilding the 4r100/E40D. It follows I think tom woods or something like that.
I'll see if I can scan it in tomorrow.

FWIW 'most' stuff they do, even for this built is mostly a stock rebuild. They aren't replacing lots of hard parts. Even used stock clutch packs.
Of course they had options of hardened shafts and other non sense that most of us don't need (it was a "pulling trans" for a diesel)

#12 ·
I was working near the Level 10 shop several years ago when the original transmission died. It was way overkill for my stock 302 and 33's but at the time I thought I was going to go bigger so I figured getting the best I could find was warranted. 140,000 miles later it still shifts very crisply. I don't know how much it had t do with the shift pattern, but I've always thought that after the rebuild it downshifted and held 3rd more apporpriately on highway hills.

#13 ·
I'm very jealous. Once I install injectors and electric fueling my truck will definitely burn up the already strained e4od.

Before you spend the money on that B&M cooler take a look at a 6.0 Powestroke cooler. Pretty much the size of a civics radiator :toothless.

#17 ·
Looking good, I dropped my E4OD off at the transmission shop today. Hopefully it will not take too long. When do you think you'll start swapping the parts?

tim

#21 ·
Looking good, I dropped my E4OD off at the transmission shop today. Hopefully it will not take too long. When do you think you'll start swapping the parts?
The new trans will be installed within the next few weeks. I first have some (cough) engine repairs and I need to change the break-in gear oil in the new Currie 9" along with installing a new weld-on drain plug.

PS. You suck. :goodfinge

:toothless
Back at ya', big guy...:goodfinge

:toothless

Damn I wish I had your budget! :cry

Top notch, as always :thumbup
Darn, I guess I am all-in at this point. :shocked No turning back, as long as I keep my head out of the toilet... :itsatrap

badass, love that truck
Is that a mint condition 1996 MAF 5.8L Green & Tan Eddie Bauer Bronco? Now that is bad-ass... :twotu:

#25 ·
This is clearly an inherently high torque "Go-Fast" Bronco, not a crawler. I do not desire a manual transmission for my daily driver. I cannot speak for the comparative strength of a zf5, but I anticipate that this custom Level 10 PTS "Bulletproof" E4OD will be very strong, indeed!

Transmission looks great! You ever hear what was up with the 408?
See my other post... I broke my new 408 Stroker - ****!!!

Correct!!! We'll see... But I have seen and heard nothing but very positive accolades for the Level 10 PTS builds.

#29 ·
Level 10 sells all of their high performance parts individually and as kits. A quality transmission shop can repair or build the Level 10 PTS E4OD utilizing these parts.

Pat Barrett's experience, performance reputation, initial custom design with computer graphing and dyno testing for my specific application is what I have paid for. :twotu:

This is not an existing core rebuild, but a completely custom "Built From Scratch" E4OD.

Level 10 "Animal" Kit

Level 10 Performance Transmission Systems
Bulletproof Your Transmission!

This kit was featured in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords, Ford Performance Trucks, Diesel Power, Diesel Tech, Diesel World Magazine.

Do your own rebuilds? Have a favorite local shop you can trust? We have the answer for your transmission.

Now available we are offering the Level 10 Master Overhaul kit. This kit contains the renowned Level 10 clutches, gaskets, seals and “O” rings. The same parts we install in every transmission we build.

Combine this kit with our valvebody kit or upgrade. Also available our Super front pump assy. Now you can have a transmission with better performance and reliability than any “off the shelf” unit on the market. Note that this is not for beginners and requires special tooling specific to transmission make and model.

Not to mention the Off-Road Magazine Bronco build.

Level 10 Video - Feel The Power

#30 ·
Follow-up:

The Level 10 E4OD is installed and working great!

Trans shifts smoothly with normal driving and shifts firmly when I get on it. Even heard a definite "chirp" shifting hard between 1st and 2nd!!! Holds gears perfectly and downshifts immediately.

Lowered stall speed is working well, just getting used to it. Operating temperature is holding at 150° at the inspection port, but the sender was damaged and will be replaced. Column gear indicator is slightly off and I will have to do the Shift Cable Adjustment.

And, not one visible drop of trans fluid from the main seals or inspection port!!!

Coupled with the new Currie F9, my drivetrain feels "solid". So far this transmission is excellent!!! :twotu:

#32 ·
Glad to hear it. I got my E4OD back from the builder last week. She is waiting for the engine builder to complete his duties before meeting her Royal lifemate! ("Windsor" lol I thought it was funny anyway)

I too would like to see the FSB run down the track. Should be interesting and would probably hurt a few feelings. Not yours, but some others with wanna be race cars.

tim

#34 ·
5K for an automatic transmission!?! Makes me very grateful I have a 78 with an NP435! I'd have to be a hardcore rock crawler to even consider a slushbox. What an offensive expense!! You guys sure pay dearly to beef up your late model Broncs.

Screamin'

#36 ·
Might be a lot, but you could do a nice rebuild for around 3k. Still a lot, but this is a nicer auto tranny than the older C6. And if you think about it, this isn't about broncos, ANY newer auto is going to be expensive to rebuild. This will probably seem mild another 10 yrs. from now. And if you don't want a manual, what can you do? I'd not have a manual 4x4 again, don't like them. Sports car, that's another story.

#35 ·
Beautiful. Wish I had the money to do that :/

Not to hijack, but what would one expect to be charged to rebuild an AOD or E40D in a shop out the door?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.