Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

High Torque Rear End Advice

44K views 111 replies 29 participants last post by  Seattle FSB 
#1 ·
My new 408 Stroker finally ate my 8.8 rear end with TracLoc, which was built by Randy's Ring & Pinion about 5 years ago. Yea, I knew the Stroker would eventually eat the 8.8, but not necessarily this soon. :doh0715:

I have been planning to upgrade to a custom built high torque rear end, such as a Dana 60 from Currie, Dutchman, or Blitzkrieg Motorsports, ever since I completed my Stroker/MAF upgrade.

My initial parameters are to maintain my 5 on 5.5 lug pattern, 4.56 gears and add disc brakes with a proportioning valve. I would also like a geared limited slip differential, such as the Detroit TrueTrac, if it has the strength to last. I have pretty much ruled out the Detroit Locker as this is a 75% Daily Driver.

For high torque strength, what do you think about a fabricated housing with tubes, full width back brace, chromoly 35 spline shafts and a 1350 yoke? Is this over the top? What would be a good disc brake set-up that would fit my 15" Alcoa wheels?

I have been researching and just read this article Currie Enterprises Fabricated Ford 9 Inch Rear Axle in Off-Road Magazine. This is a similar build, only with a Currie 9" Rear End. They also show a cool transfer case yoke mounted Speed Sensor by Brea Auto Electric, if anyone is interested.

Being self-limiting, I am on the steep learning curve with a rear end strength goal for high torque in acceleration, towing and off-road. My Stroker puts out 500+ ft lbs. of torque and I am running 33" tires. My tires probably will never be taller than 35".

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!

See less See more
#86 ·
Update:

The new Currie F9+ is extremely strong and tight, especially behind the new Level 10 E4OD. Good break-in patterns and minimal metal debris.

I changed the break-in gear oil and had a new drain plug installed for future maintenance. My mistake, I should have had Currie do this during fabrication...

Now we will see how strong a Currie F9+ can be. :twotu:

#89 ·
I emailed CUrrie just the other day for something similar. THis is what they quoted me.

For a complete 9” Ford made up with our extra heavy duty housing – 3.25” x .25” wall tubing, our 35 spline alloy axles and a 3rd member built with a 35 spline Detroit locker and gear ratio of your choice assembled with 11” explorer disc brakes, but spring pads and shock mounts loose so you can weld them to your needed angles you would be looking at a total of $3357.75 before shipping. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

#94 ·
Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification. I was looking on their site, and couldn't see the F9, figured it was just a beefed up EHD one.

I'm looking at building up for a 4bt conversion at a later date, and only want to build the under-carriage once. Most likely will be with their EHD rear end. I think built properly it'll survive a 4bt while running around in the desert. I'll save the major cost for the internals.

#96 ·
That's probably something I will end up doing as well then. I'm still planning it all out before I buy anything. Working on getting the cheaper common stuff fixed first. Like electrical gremlin's. I've found 7 short's in the harness so far. I'm more amazed that this thing still run's with all of the juice that is literally being drained.

#100 ·
PN CE-6020E Currie Enterprises
PN CE-6020E Summit Racing

Lokar CE-6020E Explorer Parking Brake Cable

I had a problem with the OEM Cinch Strap Hook which over adjusted

It is "maleable" metal and designed to bend to adjust for wear (zip tied here)

I replaced it with a solid eye bolt that I can still adjust manually

#110 ·
Agreed. In general, it is a potential problem using lift blocks on a weak installation - especially with a leaf over axle suspension. These are not lift blocks and this is not a weak installation. This has been solid for years with zero issues.

Best case would be to reposition the perches but note the issue with the full width back brace which will require extensive modification to the perches and/or back brace and may weaken the perch plate mounting. This is easy to say and more difficult to do. Regardless, I have not found the need. You will read that this is not recommended when not done properly yet in my case I have had several race shops buy off on this set-up.

#111 ·
I hear you, but those wedges are a bit of a band aid. As you don't off-road much, it is not nearly the issue it is for us that slam these 6k pound pigs around the trail.

My wedges broke in half and the stock perches collapsed. Just welded the ruffstuff perches on at the corrected angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#112 ·
Agreed. The Seattle FSB has transitioned into a performance street truck with stiff suspension for cornering. Outside of mild/moderate off-road, the main articulation I see anymore are residential speed bumps. :toothless

Mostly I am just a gear head who is a Bronco fanatic. Cheers. :beer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.