88 Eddie Bronco 7.3 idi and zf5 swap - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
bigbroncotom88

88 Eddie Bronco 7.3 idi and zf5 swap

So after a recent streak of events it has become possible for me to complete my diesel swap into my bronco that i have been wanting to do ever since I got her my JR year in highschool 5 years ago. I am a college student at USF am almost always broke so I would have never thought I would be able to do this swap so soon.

Heres how it started: About 4 months ago I swapped a 351w outa a 76 merc couger, the POS AOD with a NP435 outa a 96 f-250, and a NP205 outa a 77 f-100. I picked up the engine w/ longtube hedders, and trans for 300 bucks and the t-case for 75. I couldnt Kill that 302 though, i beat the piss out of it and went through 2 AODs but she just wouldnt die. I ended up selling it for 150 which helped finance the swap.

So i did the swap and everything was going good, except I kept busting driveshafts, I busted an ear off the output yoke on the t-case twice, the flange on the rear 3 times, and twisted the shaft in half twice. Mostly from side steppin the clutch, power shifting, and double clutching :)

This final time the damn 8.8 spun the pumpkin on the axle tubes and left the pinion pointing up into the damn floor board. This promped me to begin looking for a new rear end, and being the "if im gonna do all the damn work anyway, I might as well go whole hog and do what I want even if it costs a little more" kinda guy I am, I began searching for a Dana 70 dually axle do do the swap. (I been wanting to do that forever too.) Well I lucked out and found a 1991 Georgie Boy 30ft RV for sale on Craigslist for 500 bucks!!! It had a 23k original mile 460, c-6, and dana 70HD (4.10), not to mention the onboard generator, roof mount A/C, 3-way fridge, and all the other shit I pulled off it to sell and make my money back on the deal. So I hopped on my bike and road out there that night to look at it and arranged with the guy to come out the following weekend to strip it. He even brought out his rollback tow truck to jack the ass end up and his cutting torches to help expedite the process. We ended up cutting the whole thing in half behind the trans, and flipped over the back half to cut the axle out. The front was removed all together, the body was cut off and the engine and trans rolled out still bolted to the framerails rolling on the front susp. like an old f-body camaro. That made it a hell of alot easier to transport and manuver around.

So I got all this stuff back to my buddies place and began planning and preparing to do the 460 swap. I completed the axle swap in a few hours, all i had to do was relocate the spring purches on the rear inboard 2.25 inches each and the 70hd bolted right up to the stock shackles. I even used the springs off the RV (huge ass 9 leaf pack). Im 6' 315 and I can jump up and down on the rear bumper and she moves maybe 1/2 an inch, before i could almost get it to bottom out with the old bronco leafs. :) I had planned on useing the np435 and 205 combo i already had with the 460, I even had a BB bellhousing already, all I needed was a flywheel and clutch set and i would have been ready to do the swap.

Well while surfing on craigslist for the clutch stuff for the 460, I happend on a 1989 4x4 F-250 for sale about 75 miles away for 650 bucks!! It had a 7.3idi, zf5, and I believe its a 10.25 rear ( not sure, dont really care.) So I called on it, the guy said another guy gave it to him to pay off some money he owed and he didnt know much about the truck, but the other guy couldnt get it to run. so i drove out that night and looked it over, It had a brand new injector pump, fuel pump, and starter!! I played it down and we threw a battery in it and cranked it for a few seconds just so i could be sure it didnt have any internal issues. I talked him down to 550, gave him a deposit and picked it up a few days later. It cost me 187 bucks to have it towed back to my buddies place cause i couldnt find nobody with a trailer to borrow and uhaul didnt have one big enough. But $750 all in was still a Steal.

I got it running a few days later, all i had to do was fixed a freyd connection on the starter that was arking, and prime the fuel system, and she fired right up, purred like a kitten, and ran like a raped ape!

At this point I have the 250 completely stripped and ready for the engine to be removed. I have the entire wiring harness removed and labled to use in the bronco. The only thing holding me up from beginning the heavy stuff is that I cant find a cherry picker to borrow or a cheap one to buy. Once I get ahold of one, I can begin tearing down the bronco and the fun can begin.

Here are some pics of the 351w Swap:

This was the only mistake i made the whole swap, I tried to convert the 76 351w to the serpentine setup from the 302 only to find that the older 351's water pump had an opposite rotation of the 88's 302. and the timing cover is different so you cant just swap pumps. So i scrapped that idea and just went with the v-belt setup.

bigbroncotom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #2
SyKo92Bronc

Bronco Info: 92 FSB 5.0L
Maybe this cherry picker is cheap enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-Picker_W0...item4a9b522dde
SyKo92Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
bigbroncotom88

Here are some pics of the truck over The years:

Sittin in the parkin lot all clean on campus: (yes those are 5" stacks, Yes, there functional, and yes, it is strait 2.5 into 5 so its loud as hell)

Climbin up a dirt pile at a construction site back home:

Playin in a puddle out at Big Scrub, in Ocala Fl, almost got a $500 ticket, i guess I wasnt suppost to play there.

Theres my big ass standin by her at my buds house:

Day after playin in the bogg at the Lakeland Mud Boggs:

Same Day, doin a tune up to get her runnin again after drowning her in the hole and havin to get strapped 60 miles all the way back to tampa at 2 in the morinin: (told ya i couldnt kill that motor)

Here are some other random pics, im tired of describin each one :)

Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyKo92Bronc View Post
Maybe this cherry picker is cheap enough?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cherry-Picker_W0...item4a9b522dde
Looking for one local to Tampa Fl, and around 75. Found a couple for 100-150, but ill get lucky and find one for cheap.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
SyKo92Bronc

Bronco Info: 92 FSB 5.0L
Beautiful stacks
SyKo92Bronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
bigbroncotom88

Couple more pics

These are a couple pics of a nice hole out in Richloam Fl.(in 2wd!)

Old 10-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
bigbroncotom88

Now that those are outa the way here are some pics of the Bronco with the Dana 70 and the F-250 the 7.3s comin out of. (i do plan on getting some fender flares off a F-350 Dually to cover the tires, and I am also looking for some tall skinnies for the rear to bring them up to the same size as the fronts. Looking at 900x16s michilins or power kings, or some tsl 34x10.5x16s, basically whatever i can find for the right price. Also looking for 2" spacers so the new tires in the rear will fit.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
brinker88

Bronco Info: 1986 F-150/D44RS front/D60 limited slip rear/4.10 gears/35 MT Baja Claw/8 suspension/(3/4) ton brake
when you gonna do an SAS on that sumbitch?
brinker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
bigblueford

Bronco Info: 90 302/AOD * 96 302/E4OD * 96 302/M5OD
Any chance of poppin' the hood on the Bronco and snapping a picture showing what an IDI looks like installed? Seems like an IDI would smoke A LOT compared to a Turbo DI.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker88 View Post
when you gonna do an SAS on that sumbitch?
The plan is to find a leaf sprung, king pin, Dana 60. Dunno when its gonna happen, but its probably gonna depend on me stumbling accross one some guys sellin cheap cause he doesnt know what it is and wants it outa his yard.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueford View Post
Any chance of poppin' the hood on the Bronco and snapping a picture showing what an IDI looks like installed? Seems like an IDI would smoke A LOT compared to a Turbo DI.
When I get the swap all done I will post a bunch of pictures and videos, ima be postin a bunch of pictures of my progress on the swap aswell. And yea the idi's can smoke like a chimney, Im gonna turn the IP on mine when i get her in, that and the open 5" exhaust she oughta smoke pretty good.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
XDAILY

Bronco Info: 1990 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Dayum.

XDAILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #13
seawalkersee

Bronco Info: 84 FSB with a 6.9 diesel/zf 5, supercharger, and 33s.
I thought Larry the Cable guy drove a dodge!!!!

Seriously though, any questions shoot them my way. You can get a serp setup from the later 7.3s and it makes it a bit easier. For pix of an IDI in one, check out my supermotors page.

SWS
Old 10-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #14
XDAILY

Bronco Info: 1990 5.0 Eddie Bauer
I gave alittle giggle when i saw your bronco but after i saw how u use it
I have to say its unique and it fits you. More power to ya.

XDAILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post
I thought Larry the Cable guy drove a dodge!!!!

Seriously though, any questions shoot them my way. You can get a serp setup from the later 7.3s and it makes it a bit easier. For pix of an IDI in one, check out my supermotors page.

SWS
Haha I loved the wall shaker he had in the window, actually i liked the whole truck! He took my idea bout the moonpies in the gbox though. But in witless protection he drove a Bronco! that one was kinda plain for my taste but atleast it had nitrous

I read your thread about your 6.9 swap, Im kinda in the same boat as you cause it didnt matter what diesel I found, I woulda been just as happy with a 6.9. Im glad I was able to find a good donor truck with a strong engine so I wont run into alot of the problems you did. And its gonna make the process alot easier just swapping everything from one truck to the other and not having to start with just a motor and build everything else around it like you did. Was also interested to hear about the fuel you are running, I didnt know it was possible to run used oil and stuff. That was cool to find out.

I like the supercharger idea too, have to say you are the first iv heard of to want to do that conversion to a "small diesel" ( i know all about them detroits). I would probably go with a larger one, but im not familiar with the non root-style superchargers. If you ever get around to that install id love to see how it turns out.

I think im gonna stick to the v belt setup on there, there all new, I think the p/o replaced them when he replaced the IP, FP, starter, and injectors.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDAILY View Post
I gave alittle giggle when i saw your bronco but after i saw how u use it
I have to say its unique and it fits you. More power to ya.
I like my truck, its big and loud and kinda over the top, but so am I

She is a work in progress, when I get everything the way I want it, that giggles gonna turn to a speachless pause, followed by a holy shit, thats fukkin awsome

Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
MRPike

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT,302,auto,3"bodylift,BFG-AT Mods in process.1997 F250,Powerstroke,SAS,DP,6"plus lift,airlift
Way cool,I was wondering what that dual axle would look like under there.I wonder how much of a trailer hauler it would make either ball or fifth wheel without the top?
MRPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #18
LOMBARDI x
Banned

Bronco Info: 93 EB 5.8, 3.55's, auto hubs, 31x10.5x15 Bridgestone Dueler AT, E4OD, K&N, and 156k
thats so awesome, i always wondered what a dually bronco would look like. and its so cool!
LOMBARDI x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #19
seawalkersee

Bronco Info: 84 FSB with a 6.9 diesel/zf 5, supercharger, and 33s.
Yeah....about the dually, why? I mean the duals are for extra weight and stability. You will not ever be towing enough to have to use them. Don't get me wrong its your setup, I am just wondering. It would not be worth it to me just from the extra cost of tires.

Since you are in FL, you probably do not have the cold there we have here. If it gets below 70*, you will need to use diesel. The M90 is a roots blower. Unlike the Detroits which are two stroke, these eingines are four stroke and respond totally differently to the boost. They do not have to have it like the big ones do in order to run. They use them for aditional power.

I have already started on the mount, but am only there. I do not have a ton of time and need to make a bracket to mount the tensioner and idler. Then, I need to make the drive pully piggy back to the crank. No sweat, just need time. Since I am fixing all of my cab rust holes and adding the sound proofing, it is going to take some time. That, and I am building two other cars as we speak.

SWS
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 AM   #20
bigbroncotom88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPike View Post
Way cool,I was wondering what that dual axle would look like under there.I wonder how much of a trailer hauler it would make either ball or fifth wheel without the top?
dont think a 5th wheel would work, too much of the trailer is in front of the king pin, would prob hit the cab, I bet a gooseneck would be great on it though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > 1980-'96 Bronco Tech