Utah BroncoSpeed - FSB Forums
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery All Albums Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance FSB Store
FullsizeBronco.com is the premier Ford Bronco Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD @ 170,000! - AutoFab 16" System, SAW Shocks, Goodyear SilentArmor 35x12.50-15
Utah BroncoSpeed

I would like to introduce my Salt Lake City-based BroncoSpeed chase/prerunner project that officially started yesterday. It is based on my 1996 XL 5.0/E4OD (with 169K miles, but is in pristine shape.) I purchased the Bronco last year in October specifically for this project, just after I got back from the 2008 ORE in Pomona.

Some details about the build:

The primary purpose of the truck will be for:
  • Daily driver transportation on SLC streets (50%)
  • Low speed off-road Utah, Colorado, and Nevada mountain/desert trail exploring (10%)
  • High-speed desert trail exploration/pre-running (30%)
  • Remaining activities (10%):
  • Serving as a race worker for the Rally USA and California Rally Series Pro Rally events held in Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho (2-3 events/year)
  • Spectating at various BORE, SCORE, VORRA, and other off-road racing events in Utah, Nevada, and California
  • Supporting various Ham Radio field day events in Utah and surrounding states
The vehicle will be built to meet these basic requirements:
  • Provide high levels of off-road performance without sacrificing street manners
  • Be able to withstand and provide comfort on commutes
  • Smoothly idle in gear and not overheat in bumper-to-bumper traffic
  • Perform well in all types of weather environments (including snow) and handle all types of terrain
  • Can be "ridden hard and put away wet"...and do it all over again next weekend
  • Will not sacrifice interior comfort features like: A/C, cabin ventilation, radios, sunshades, door cranks, speakers/speaker placement
The Bronco will be built in Phases:
  • Phase I: Initial vehicle modifications to achieve a fully turnkey operational vehicle that meets minimum standards summarized below:
  • Full safety cage (roll cage)
  • Mid-travel (16"-18") suspension work to achieve a mild lift and an increase in suspension travel (using as many off-the-shelf parts from reputable manufacturers as possible to save time and money);
  • F&R pre-runner style bumpers custom fabricated
  • Skid plates in select areas (as recommended by fabricator)
  • Off-road lighting
  • 4.56 ring & pinions
  • Suspension seating for four passengers
  • Aftermarket 4-point safety harnesses x 4 seats
  • Existing wheels with 35" tires
  • Graphics (mild)
  • "SixLitre" tune-up (plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, and timing advance) http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592
  • Phase I - Optional Components: Additional features that may be added to Phase I if the budget and circumstances permit:
  • Fuel cell (DOT/EPA legal) <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • Rear disk brakes <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • Front disk brake enhancements <-- TBD
  • Bassani E.O. headers & Y-pipe/catalytic converter system <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • Cyclonic air filter <--Done!
  • Dual batteries <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • F&R fiberglass fenders <--Skipped...not interested anymore
  • Additional engine/transmission cooling <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • Custom center console <--Skipped for now 11-4-2010
  • Custom Interior (sealed floor and safety cage tube holes, sound/heat insulation, new custom carpeting, full safety cage padding/wrap, new headliner <-- Done March 2014
  • Detroit (Eaton) True-Trac (rear first, then front) <-- Done!
  • Phase II: Additional (read: $$$) advanced functionality and features that add further capabilities to the Bronco - TBD
This will be an Autofab Bronco. I have heard enough good things about John's suspension systems that there is no other real choice for my budget. My various conversations and e-mails with John have solidified my decision. In fact, I have the dual 2.5" res. shock 16" travel TTB system is on order as of two weeks ago.

Here is a quick list of initial parts:
  • Full cabin safety cage (DOM tubing, MIG welded)
  • Autofab 16" travel dual 2.5 shock TTB system
  • Autofab 18" travel 2-link leaf spring system
  • CHANGE 4/15/2009 --> Sway-A-Way RaceRunner 2.5 remote reservoir shocks (to replace the originally designated F-O-A 2.5" smooth body remotes)
  • 35x12.50-15 tires (Goodyear Silent Armors were chosen)
  • American Racing Outlaw II 15x8 wheels (already on the Bronco) CORRECTED: OEM Ford 10-hole 'riveted' 15x7.5 (Hollander 1701)
  • 4.56:1 ring & pinions by Yukon
  • F&R prerunner bumpers, custom built (DOM, MIG)
  • Hella 4000 lights (2 ea Euro Beam)
  • Hella 500 lights (2 ea Euro Beam) <-- replaced 2 ea Hella 4000s
  • Mastercraft seats, 4 ea (Mastercraft "originals") w/ sliders
  • Mastercraft (or possibly a DOT-legal set) 2" 4-point sew-in restraints on all four seats
Fabricators:

The fabricators that I have chosen are two local professionals that specialize in both off road long travel pre-runners and high performance racing vehicle fabrication. The lead fabricator is Josh Smario of Ojive Industries (formerly HoleShot Off Road) who built a nice '96 2WD Ranger that appeared in ORM in 2004 (http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/...cab/index.html). The vehicle will be co-built by Dustin Francis at his dp custom fab (www.dpcustomfab.com) shop in Centerville, UT. Special advanced thanks to "Revenant" down in American Fork for his suggestions, contacts, and his F-150 build (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=114672 )

Current modifications (installed by previous owner) on truck that will be retained (for now...)
  • Magnaflow 3" cat-back exhaust
  • K&N panel filter (in stock air-box)
  • AR Outlaw II wheels (15x8) CORRECTED: OEM Ford 10-hole 'riveted' 15x7.5 (Hollander 1701)
I have a complete detailed project plan and parts/labor pricing matrix (.pdf's) that I am willing to share. Just PM me.

I also look forward to documenting (narratives, pics) the entire build here at Broncospeed.com, and I invite feedback from all. Thanks!

Some "before" photos...
Attached Images

Autofab, Mastercraft, RaceRunner, Bassani & Magnaflow, Hella, Goodyear, Yukon, Eaton TT, Advanced ACS, PATC, FRPP, Accel...

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146007

Last edited by denhabr; 04-11-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Updated parts listing...and interior
denhabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #2
TCM GLX

Bronco Info: 93 Bronco XLT 5.8
Welcome!! Looks like you have a very clean starting platform! And your Phase I is very well planned out!! Also, make sure to check out the Suspension offerings by Camburg!!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD @ 170,000! - AutoFab 16" System, SAW Shocks, Goodyear SilentArmor 35x12.50-15
Thumbs up Thanks...

Thanks for the nice comment. I've been planning a prerunner/chase truck project since the mid-90's (where I visited a LOT of SoCal and AZ based fab shops...) Then I came across BroncoSpeed.com about a year ago, and have learned a ton since then. All of you guys have been a great help in finalizing my choice of vehicle, the suspension options, and other features.

Look forward to your suggestions, moans, groans, gripes and complaints as well...

I've have indeed checked into Camburg (ORE 2004 & 2008, website, etc...) and they do have great stuff...but I made the choice of Autofab at least for Phase I. Maybe Camburg, Giant, or some custom fab for Phase II???

Thanks again...

P.S.: Will be returning to the fab shop on friday to take some additional pictures (and hopefully ship the TTB cores back to John...he's been pestering me to get the cores back to him ASAP...)
Autofab, Mastercraft, RaceRunner, Bassani & Magnaflow, Hella, Goodyear, Yukon, Eaton TT, Advanced ACS, PATC, FRPP, Accel...

Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
steveG

Bronco Info: 84 351w C6, Autofab suspension
That's a well thought out plan! It looks like you're on the right track for a hell of a Bronco. One question. Aren't FOA shocks too long for John's off-the-shelf shock mount offerings?

Welcome!
steveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Ptack1

Bronco Info: 1989 351, C6, 6in superlift, 4.56's, 36in TSL's
Wow that is one organized set of plans. Even has bold headings.

Sounds good so far, cant wait to see the progress.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #6
stan the man
Mentally in Cancun.

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
thats a pretty truck. Welcome to the Speed club.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:43 AM   #7
AzDirtworx

are you in actual salt lake or surrounding??
AzDirtworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG View Post
That's a well thought out plan! It looks like you're on the right track for a hell of a Bronco. One question. Aren't FOA shocks too long for John's off-the-shelf shock mount offerings?

Welcome!
That's a good question...will have to check with John and see what he says...or maybe get the FOA guys talking with Autofab directly and let them work out the details...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDirtworx View Post
are you in actual salt lake or surrounding??
Right here in Salt Lake at the south end of the valley... Live in Sandy, close to the Point of the Mountain, if you are familiar with the area.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #9
Drilim
FSB's Bastard Child

Im going to keep an eye on this build. Sounds well thought out and thoroughly planned.
Originally posted by Keith_L
But it'll get better with more strokes and at higher speeds...
Quote:
Originally posted by RavenTBK
With my luck, I'd end up putting undue stress on my balls and screwing them up to the point it will take a helluva lot more than $115.00 to get them fixed.
Drilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

Exclamation F-O-A shocks --> Sway-A-Way RaceRunners...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG View Post
...One question. Aren't FOA shocks too long for John's off-the-shelf shock mount offerings?
SteveG...yes, you are correct. After double checking and comparing the 16", 10", and 12" travel shocks from SAW (John's recommendation) and the equivalent travel shocks from F-O-A, the 10" shocks are ~1.5" to 2.0" too long in both the compressed and extended lengths.

After talking to my fabricators, I could easily eat up the price 'savings' in additional shock mounting fabrication and fitting charges... So, I adjusted my budget, and took their advice (and the sage advice of John at Autofab,) and will be going with six Sway-A-Way 2.5 remote reservoir shocks as follows:
  • 16" travel x 2 (front axle, forward of TTB) - SAW #56000-116 (24.05" compressed / 40.57" extended)
  • 10" travel x 2 (front axle, behind TTB) - SAW #56000-110 (16.37" compressed / 26.90" extended)
  • 12" travel x 2 (rear axle) - SAW #56000-112 (19.05" compressed / 31.57" extended)
Now I'm searching for SAW shock retailers/suppliers at this time...found two that offer each shock at $350+shipping or $359 (shipping included.)

Again, thanks for pointing out the length issue...saved me a lot of heartache

by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by denhabr; 04-16-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Tweaked the posting title just a bit...
Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
steveG

I'm glad you got it straightened out before you placed the order. Straightening out headaches after the fact sucks and gets expensive.

You're going to have a ton of shock on the front of that thing. Very cool! You'll definitely need to change the valving, but it'll have A LOT of potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhabr View Post
Now I'm searching for SAW shock retailers/suppliers at this time...found two that offer each shock at $350+shipping or $359 (shipping included.)
That's a damn good price. It's amazing to me how cheap everyone sells shocks for. I bet if they sat down and crunched numbers they'd see they were loosing money on shock sales at the end of the year.... Bad for them, good for you!

Thanks for the update. We're all looking forward to the progress.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
mda
Fullsize Member

Since you are doing the r&P's you should go ahead and install the F&R lockers at the same time. Why tear something down and install new gears just to tear it down again later and install lockers.

BTW I love the way the trutrac I have works in snow. 4WD is not even required on road until you get over a foot of snow. You'll be happy with them.

You might consider an ARB for the front though. In the scope of things it will not add much to the cost of the build and provide you better functionality where you will want it - slow trails. This is the route I took and I am very happy with the setup and the way it performs.

I'd keep the stock body for as long as you can. IMO fiberglass looks "unfinished" on most street and prerun oriented trucks.

Have fun!
mda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
Billy1911

Bronco Info: 1991 CUSTOM CHASE BRONCO
Looks like a good plan I will be watching
Billy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
Throttlepimp

Bronco Info: 89 XLT 302, K&N Filter, Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster. 94 XLT 5.8 Stock
Most organized thread ever.

Heck, I'm half tempted to copy and paste your details outline (change a couple of things) and show it to the guys working on my 89' build. So they'll think I'm organized and not try to mess about!!!

Looking forward to the progress on your rig.
Throttlepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
locopny
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"

Bronco Info: Broke down, getting changed to a diesel one ton
Quote:
Live in Sandy, close to the Point of the Mountain, if you are familiar with the area.
I'll have to see this thing in person when I come through town in about a month or two. (if you have it underway-still reading thread)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I'll be damned, somebody around here knows how to search.
locopny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
steveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlepimp View Post
Most organized thread ever.
For sure! I make lots of plans but never stick to them. We could all learn a lot from this.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #17
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

True-Trac's, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda View Post
Since you are doing the r&P's you should go ahead and install the F&R lockers at the same time. Why tear something down and install new gears just to tear it down again later and install lockers.

BTW I love the way the truetrac I have works in snow. 4WD is not even required on road until you get over a foot of snow.
Yeah, that was why I picked the TrueTracs. Seemed to be the logical choice, especially for the winter use up here in Utah. Spools were not considered due to the 'daily driver' status.

Quote:
You might consider an ARB for the front though. In the scope of things it will not add much to the cost of the build and provide you better functionality where you will want it - slow trails. This is the route I took and I am very happy with the setup and the way it performs.
Possibly. I've thought about the ARB air locker for years, but just didn't think it would be viable in a mid-travel BroncoSpeed. But hey, who knows. The TrueTrac should be good in the front, no? Wonder how it steers?

Quote:
I'd keep the stock body for as long as you can. IMO fiberglass looks "unfinished" on most street and prerun oriented trucks. Have fun!
Can't argue with that. I've spoken with others (e.g., 'Silent One's' nice black Bronco...) here and just love the look of the stock fenders...and since I don;t plan to jump the Bronco, and take my off-road excursions at a reasonable pace, I hope to not hit my fenders.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #18
denhabr
Utah Broncospeed

Build Plans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlepimp View Post
Most organized thread ever. Heck, I'm half tempted to copy and paste your details outline (change a couple of things) and show it to the guys working on my 89' build. So they'll think I'm organized and not try to mess about!!! Looking forward to the progress on your rig.
Send me a PM and I will send you a .pdf of the my original build plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopny View Post
I'll have to see this thing in person when I come through town in about a month or two. (if you have it underway-still reading thread)
Sure. It is currently located in my 'secret lair' in Centerville, UT. PM me and I will provide you directions to the fab shop.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
PWMTN

Bronco Info: Stretched 96 5.8 with many desert mods.
Trutrac

[quote=denhabr;2023744]Yeah, that was why I picked the TrueTracs. Seemed to be the logical choice, especially for the winter use up here in Utah. Spools were not considered due to the 'daily driver' status.

Possibly. I've thought about the ARB air locker for years, but just didn't think it would be viable in a mid-travel BroncoSpeed. But hey, who knows. The TrueTrac should be good in the front, no? Wonder how it steers?

=================
I originally set up my 96 for CO with trutrac front and it was fine. I never noticed any steering issues. The Jeep guys that used trutrac in the solid axle found it was not good for their rock crawling. Not sure they understood how it worked. A simple tap of the brakes can cause make it go unluck to lock when one wheel is slipping.
Trutrac was originally designed for dual purpose Jeep fronts, then made for many others. Its very popular for dual purpose as oppposed to a rock rig.
Anyway for the desert trutrac front is always the best all I need to do is pop it into 4wd when traction is limited.

Spool Ok in the desert but horible with slick roads. I wishied I had an ARB in the rear instead of a spool. ARBs are not available for 40S axles.
Paul
PWMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
mda
Fullsize Member

Quote:

My TT is in the rear so I cant answer the sterring questions.

If you go that route for the front don't bother with the little ARB compressor. If you are planning OBA then use that or get a small CO2 bottle. Then use the ARB kit and pnematic switch from Powertank. This setup eliminates the "electrical" part of and ARB install.

Russell makes extended stainless air lines to replace the blue plastic line shipped with an ARB. So that covers the mid-travel issue.
mda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

FSB Forums > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed