Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Is my Power Steering pump about to break?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnMcD348 
#1 ·
I'm getting an irregular knocking sound that I think is coming from my power steering pump. Either that or my belt tensioner needs replacing. I hear it at start up, randomly at idle and at varying times between acceleration and deceleration. You can see the tensioner moving when the knocking sound occurs. I can't feel or detect any wobble in the PS pulley or mount. It almost sounds like it's inside the pump. I did the screw driver to the ear test but it didn't help tell if it was inside the pump or not.

I made a video of it that I need help getting on here so you can see and hear it. I uploaded it to my Photobucket, but I can also do Superpages if that would be better.

Thanks

#3 ·
If any accessory is experiencing intermediate resistance it will cause the tensioner to move as the belt tension increases and relaxes. If your pump really is knocking I'd say it's on it's way out. Good time for a Saginaw Upgrade.

#4 ·
A good power steering pulley puller makes all the difference. Slap a new ford pump in there. If your reservoir is in good shape its reusable and the pump is pretty cheap.

#5 ·
I missed my chance to get a Saginaw setup for my 4.9L. If one comes around again I'll try to get it. I wanted to have one anyway to replace it when the time did come.

#6 · (Edited)
Right about 8 seconds you'll hear the clicking noise.

OK, how do I embed a YT video?

Figured it out....

#7 · (Edited)
Right about 8 seconds you'll hear the clicking noise.

#9 ·
I have a serpentine belt. taking it off and running the engine won't really work.

#11 ·
:duh

#13 ·
Right. That's what's kinda got me stumped. I can't really nail down exactly where the noise is coming from. It could be the Power steering, it could be the Tensioner or the spring connector......

I'm going to get down to Harbor Frieght and pick up one of those Mechanics Stethoscopes to see if I can pin point it better. I've already tried the screwdriver to the ear and got nothing. The tapping noise sounded like it was a transfer sound through the pump. It was definitely louder on the outside than the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.