Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

88Bronco300 leaf SAS finally starting!!

36K views 151 replies 28 participants last post by  hcoll 
#1 ·
Well not yet exactly. I got so many parts sitting on my dining room table, I got too excited and wanted to start my thread. So heres a few pics of what I have so far. The work will probably actually start next week and there will be plenty of updating then.

Heres how she sits now.

Heres the new axles. Kingpin Dana 60 DRW and Sterling 10.25. Got both for a total of $570.00 (Special thanks to rclark12)

New hubs and rotors to convert to srw.

Timken bearings and seals

And heres what I got over the past couple days.
Factory Ford shock towers.

WFO Concepts ubolt flip and some shock mounts.

Some hardware.

Sky's spring hanger and shackles for the rear of the front axle.

I'm still waiting on the springs and wheels. I ordered 6" superlift springs for the rear and Im going to use the stock rear leaves up front. The wheels are Bart 15x12. I know about the caliper issue and still haven't decided if I'm going to use spacers or grind them. I don't have the money for tires right now so I'm staying with the Hawgs and that's why I ordered the 15's.

Like I said I just wanted to post what I have so far so I'm sorry but there probably won't be any updates for a week or two.

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see your getting started. Should be a good build, with the right size back spacing and caliper grinding you can get a 15" rim on. 2.5" back spacing goes on know grinding I believe, lots of info over at pirate.

#5 ·
New steering. Nothing fancy, just stock F350 stuff. Down the road when I have the funds, Ill do crossover steering. But buddy of mine said he can make the crossover arm for me so we'll see.

Wheels. 15x12 Bart. 3.5" backspacing. I'm going to run a half inch spacer so it looks like I'll be doing a little bit of grinding.

#10 ·
IMO with 10" of lift with a bronco its probably a good idea to cut off the perches and twist the axle a bit, if nothing else at least the rear, first time I crawled under a bronco I couldn't believe how short and angled the shafts were. Then again I'm comparing to longer wheel base vehicles I've only owned trucks. I know some one with a blazer on 44's and he had to alter both the front and rear axles for that
I'm not sure if I'm going to cut the perches yet. I'm most likely going to try to stay closer to 8" so I may be able to get away with a wedge in the rear for now. I know the front may be a different story but we will see when the time comes.

Still waiting on my springs and I'm trying to decide if I should take the plunge on a new set of tires. I'm leaning towards the 40" LTB's. Ive heard good things about them and they won't see too many miles on the street. (Not a trailer queen, its just not my daily driver. I do drive to where I wheel.) Plus they are affordable for a 40. The ground hawgs have been starting to let me down lately.

I did start to break down the dana yesterday. Sorry no pics of that. I had limited time and dirty hands with no one to take pics for me. Plus Im sure everybody has seen a dana anyway.

#9 ·
IMO with 10" of lift with a bronco its probably a good idea to cut off the perches and twist the axle a bit, if nothing else at least the rear, first time I crawled under a bronco I couldn't believe how short and angled the shafts were. Then again I'm comparing to longer wheel base vehicles I've only owned trucks. I know some one with a blazer on 44's and he had to alter both the front and rear axles for that

#119 ·
He has to be careful about twisting it to far. I did that with my bronco and i twisted it to far and now it clears everything just fine but its sucks going down the road. The thing to do is shave the yokes down a little to get more clearance. That's what I'm about to do so my Bronco drives better going down the road.

#15 ·
Impatient much? :toothless

The only update I have is that my springs are on backorder until the 29th. Im thinking about hitting up the u pull it on my day off and grabbing some stock springs so I can at least mock it up until my springs get here.

I should have the dana back together this sunday, including the hubs, bearings, seals, u joints, brakes and steering. Ill let you know how it goes.

#21 ·
Well I never really had the time or extra funds to get this project started yet. Now with my sons birthday and Christmas coming up, it's going to have to wait a few more months until the spring.

I just wanted to give a little update though. I took the bronco out yesterday and blew the gears out in the front rear, so no more 4 wheel drive. Looks like I'm down till spring. Instead of regearing, I'll finally get started on the swap.

#22 ·
Another update.

I'm going a bit of a different route now. Originally I was going to use rear F250 leaf springs on the front. After doing more research, it looks like that will give me way too much lift. I picked up a set of F350 front leaf springs today. That should keep me closer to the 8-9" that I want to be at.

I might use the F250 springs on the rear though. I will be getting the Sky Manufacturing 6" spring hanger kit. I might end up sitting a little high in the rear but we will see when the time comes.

I will probably be ordering the rest of the parts in January and hope to have the project done by February-March if the weather cooperates.

#23 ·
Got my front crossmember and spring hangers with new shackles in today. I had the steel to make the front crossmember but since I had a few extra bucks, I decided to order one from Sky Manufacturing. It will be less welding and all the measurements are already taken care off.

The baby being nosey.

I also ordered Sky's 6" drop rear spring hangers. They should be here Friday. Shocks will be in sometime next week and I will officially have all my parts. Now I just have to wait for the weather to cooperate and I can get started.

#25 ·
Haha how you been? Thanks again for the heads up on that Dana. My buddy has been trying to get his hands on it, saying my 4.9 will struggle pushing it. I think he just wants it for a friend of his. I won't let him near it.

The crossmember hanger kit that sky sells comes with the shackles that are pictured for the rear of the front axle, and a track bar bracket. When I called they said they could sell the parts separately so I ordered it without the bracket to save some money. The rear spring hangers were separate. The kit is a bolt on kit for 92-96. I just have to box in my frame to make it work on mine. I bought the spring hangers for the rear of the front axle from sky last year. They are pictured in the first post. When I bought them, I ordered shackles too. I'll probably use them for the rear axle now.

I haven't tested any of skys products yet but I've done a lot of research and haven't found any bad reviews on them yet. The parts are beefy as hell and look like they are put together well. The only negative is that they sent grade 5 hardware instead of grade 8. The 5 will probably be okay but I will probably replace it with grade 8.

#28 ·
I just need some warm weekends!

Motivation: you finish yours, ill start mine
Hopefully that'll be sooner than later. I've been trying to start this now for a year and a half.

The shocks came in today. Bilstein 14" travel part #33-185576. I ordered them just 2 days ago from autoplicity. They were the cheapest I could find them at $63.25 a shock. And the shipping was so fast that they arrived before I got the email that they were even shipped.

#29 ·
Nice to see all the parts rolling in though! Ill be starting a different build in the spring Im slowly getting parts too once were both finished Ill have to head down that way and wheel with ya.

#33 ·
Do u mean for the front or the back? For the front its a 5" shackle reversal for 92-97 f250/350. Once completed it should get me about 8" of lift. I'll post measurements as soon as i can.

For the back, im going to use 6" drop spring hangers. So i am flipping the shackle at the rear but im also replacing the spring hangers on the front of the rear axle. This way the whole thing drops down instead of pivoting like a shackle flip. I will post pics tomorrow of the hangers.

#34 ·
I was asking about the front, looked like a long drop just curious how much lower then the frame rail it puts the spring. Obviously Im assuming about 5-6" but curious exactly how much.

Did you guys get snow this week looked like south jersey got hit with that storm? If not no excuse to not be wrenching :goodfinge

#38 ·
They are also sky manufacturing.
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-RHFK-006

Oh and itll probably be at least a couple weeks before i can get u measurements on that front hanger. But if u have access to an 92-97 f250/350 i can give you the measurements off of the bolt hole on the hanger. It uses the same hole on the frame as the stock shackles.

They also make this spring hanger thats a direct weld on for 80-96 f150 and broncos. It only gives about 3" of lift so i went with the one i chose for the extra lift. And once i figure out exactly where to mount it, it bolts right on after i box in the frame of course
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=FORD-SAS-BF150.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.