Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Crazed 460/ZF swap

268K views 434 replies 43 participants last post by  TrEaDeR 
#1 ·
Gonna get both rigs in the driveway and start taking them apart tomorrow.

You should know the "Street Truck", it is my '89 XLT, It started life as a 5.0/aod

I did a 6" superlift TTB lift

Did a 351 swap, mass air

D44 SAS

9" rear

I have never been happy with the 351/aod, I get crap mileage, and It was just time for a change for me.

I picked up this truck

It has a 460 EFI and a ZF 5 speed.

I will post lots of pics as I go along, I wont be spending too much on the swap, I will upgrade things later on as needed.

:thumbup

See less See more
#299 ·
thanks to Gack for stating the obvious. :clap

no, i'm serious. no sarcasm. i didn't think of that.

#300 ·
I need to make sure I am getting good ground to the frame from my battery, I put that new cable on there, and the jumper to the engine block, but I dont remember if i ground the paint off for good metal to metal contact. I'll check the ignition switch, maybe even swap it, Not sure if I used the 250 or bronco one.

This post has been deleted
#320 ·
yes 12v on red blu wire at the relay (starter works now that I disabled clutch safety switch)
progress :thumbup
So, yes, 12v at pin 30 all the time.

yes 12v at pin 87 ignition on run.

checked voltage at frame fuel pump, .03v on either side with key on run and eec pin 22 grounded.
Then you got a problem somewhere between the fuel pump relay and the inertia switch. Or the inertia switch is screwy. Is the fuel pump wiring 1989 or 1991?
1989 Fuel system
1991 Fuel system

#327 ·
Don't add any goofy stuff, just fix the fuel pump relay thats there. You probably have some other wires that don't connect on that main round connector on the firewall.

I have power on the other side of the inertia switch. Nothing goofy yet. Need to chase the pink wire out the other side and see where it goes instead of to the fuel pumps like it is supposed to.

#328 ·
ok. Found which wire comes up from the pumps. It is pink/blk. It goes into a brn/wht wire which on a 1991 dual tank system goes to the rear tank. The wiring used on a 1991 bronco I am pretty sure uses a red wire which on a dual tank system is used on the front tank. It is like it has a tank switch switched to the wrong tank.

So. I am thinking of just cutting and swapping the brown/wht and the red wires.

I hate this.

#329 ·
ok. Found which wire comes up from the pumps. It is pink/blk. It goes into a brn/wht wire which on a 1991 dual tank system goes to the rear tank. The wiring used on a 1991 bronco I am pretty sure uses a red wire which on a dual tank system is used on the front tank. It is like it has a tank switch switched to the wrong tank.

So. I am thinking of just cutting and swapping the brown/wht and the red wires.
Correct, or you could take the connector apart and switch the wires. :shrug Any pictures of this connector?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.