Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

motoxscott's Project Bronco Prerunner

184K views 378 replies 114 participants last post by  heffelfinger007 
#1 ·
Well since steve and a few others asked my to start my own thread here it is. Here are most of the older pics and new ones from this weekend. I also posted updated in this thread before starting this.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90741

Made a ton of progress on the Bronco over the weekend. It got the nick name grave digger since it's sitting a little tall right now ... haha Gonna change out the front coils and have Deaver de-arch the rears. I want the thing to sit low and wide. I still have quite a few things to do to it in the next couple of days and weeks. Had to get it driveable since I sold my 06 F150 to Drew at the shop.

Here are the specs and what I did so far .....

Rear Suspension:
Deaver F53 F-150 rear leaf springs (made spacers to go from 3" wide Bronco springs to 2.5")
Camburg F-150 MIG shackles
Bilstein 7100 remote 12" short body shocks in stock mounts

Front Suspension:
Camburg 4" extended & trussed 4wd housings with steering extensions
Camburg heim 4wd radius arms
4" coil springs
S/S brake lines
alignment cams
new upper & lower balljoints

Still got to finish up the front and get the Bilstein 7100's mounted up. I'm running duals up front. Also got to get 5/8" wheel studs on the truck so I can mount up my 37" rims & tires. The stock studs are 1" long and my wheels are 1" thick. I put about 35 hours worth of work into it after work fri-sun. I'll post more pics as I make progress.

- Scott

See less See more
#32 ·
Scott, the Bronco looks tough with the 37's. Let us know how it handles and the clearance concerns. I geared with 37s in mind and after seeing how good yours looks I am really thinking harder about it. I am eager to hear how the shake down trip goes once you get it out. Thanks for the updates.

#36 ·
I wish .... haha

I really havent had time to work on it for a while, just been way too busy with work. It would have been nice to have done when we were down in baja racing the 1000.

Should see some updates in the next couple of weeks. Hope to get a rear end in it soon. Its not happy with stock 3.55 gears. I'm gonna run 5.13 gears front and rear.

Plans are to paint it either black or dark gray, but that wont happen for a while.

- Scott

#38 ·
what size axle tubes are you looking at getting 3,3.5, 4 and why?
I'm gonna go with a Speedway Engineering housing with 3" x .250 4130 tubes with our Camburg 2.25" rear hubs. For what I'm doing I dont need anything stronger and want to keep the weight down. I have a Dirt Tech 4" housing for another project :)

No big updates from me ... been doing a lot of research on motor mods. In the last week I installed an Accel coil, dist, cap & rotor, MOMO steering wheel, ordered Bassani headers and y-pipe and scotch-brite'd and WD-40'd my beams ... haha

- Scott

#40 ·
Havent made much progress lately, just been too busy. Started on a front bumper. I'll post some pics up soon of that. Waiting for the rear end housing and 3rd member to come in, that should be any day.

Since I'll be staying with the E4ODE tranny I picked up this part from California Pre Fun. It relocates the speed sensor from the rear end to the output flange on the transfer case. Kinda over priced at $300 but it's done ... haha

- Scott

#43 ·
Been runnin that for awhile now. Loses a little accuracy around 70 but other than that works great.
If you get a chance, do you have any pics with the front fenders removed?? My Autofab fenders and bedsides showed up and am getting ready to install. Trying to finish up the body mounts today then startin to pull some sheetmetal.
Great work on your truck. :thumbup

#41 ·
Be sure that you put a good guard on it. When I ran my stock full race truck which was 2wd we had it mounted on the back of the trans. Several times during a race we had a rock get picked up by the drive shaft that knocked the pick-up out of alignment. When this happens you have only 1st and 2nd gear. It can make for a long race with 5.13 gears.

#44 ·
Well I'm going in a little different direction with the Bronco very soon. I was also planning on building a tube chassis high HP truck, but decided to scratch that idea and build up the bronco a little more serious using some of the parts I already have.

Should be an interesting build .....

- Scott

#47 ·
Haven't been on here for a while ... but I made a little progress on the Bronco. Hopefully I can get it into the shop soon and start linking it.

Here are some pics of the vehicle speed sensor relocator that CA Pre-Fun has for the Bronco's. Install went pretty smooth. I'm planning on putting a 9" rear end and need the speed sensor for the E4OD tranny.

I did something similar for a F-150 2wd and it worked out pretty well.

- Scott

#54 ·
Steve ...... simple isn't in my vocabulary ... haha

Plans are to Camburg 3-link it using our 48" lower links and the lower front mounts we use on newer rangers. Then I will just have to figure out the rest with Jason's help here. I was thinking about running the coilovers off the rear axle and more upright to still have 2 seats in the back, but at this point I will run the coilovers off the links and set it up as a 3 seater so I have more room in the back for storage & tools.

- Scott

#58 ·
I'm also documenting the build on another website, but I'll post here too. After all this is a BRONCO website :)

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74698

Plans are to pull the motor & tranny in the next couple of weeks and then throw in my rear end & fuel cell and 3-link the rear using a bolt-in shock mount/cage. I will be ditching all of the EFI, computer controllers, emissions and vacuum lines. This will be a purpose built offroad setup only.

Here's what main parts are involved with this phase ....

Engine:
408 ci. (351W bored & stroked)
Scat forged 4.00" stroke crank
Scat h-beam forged connecting rods
Mahle 4.030 bore forged pistons
AFR 185cc aluminum race cylinder heads (thanks Andy!)
Comp Cams Magnum Pro 1.6 roller rockers
Comp Cams hydro roller lifters
CI custom ground billet camshaft
MSD pro billet distributor
MSD 6AL ignition w/ HV Blaster coil
Edelbrock Super Victor intake manifold
C&J offroad carburetor
Ford Racing aluminum valve covers
Ford Racing SFi harmonic balancer
Hamburger 7qt oil pan with windage tray
Hamburger main cap girdle
Edelbrock hi-volume water pump
Melling hi-volume oil pump
ARP hardware

This engine is being professionally built by a reputable shop, I have the fun part of ordering all the parts to supply them with.

Transmission:
Culhane built E4OD able to handle 500-550 hp
TCS billet torque converter with SFi flex plate (1800-2000 stall)
Compushift transmission controller with monitor
Winters E4OD gate shifter
Moroso 2qt+ aluminum transmission pan
(2) Setrab 640 fanpack oil coolers

Since I'm getting rid of the factory computer that controls the tranny I have to get a stand alone version. The great part about it is I can control every aspect of the transmission and have it set to different modes (full auto or manual). It uses the speed sensor that I relocated to the rear of the transfer case and a throttle position sensor at the carb.

Rear Axle:
Dirt-Tech 4130 4" TIG welded housing (69.5" WMS to WMS)
Desert Specialties 2.5" race hubs (5 on 5.5)
4340 35 spline gun-drilled heat-treated axles
CNC 6 piston TT race calipers
14" x 1.25 brake rotors
Strange Engineering Pro Nodular 9" case with 5.13 gears, Detroit locker, Daytona pinion support, 1350 forged billet yoke

Fuel System
Racer X 41.5 Fuel Safe cell with 3" filler
Aeromotive SS fuel pump
Aeromotive regulator with bypass port

Rear Suspension:
Camburg 3-link using 48" 4130 lower links
14" coilovers
16" bypass shocks

Plans are to link the rear end, what shocks I'm using are up in the air right now. I want to build a bedcage type structure that bolts-in that I can later tie into when I cage it. I have a 4-6 week window to do phase 2 and have it driveable.

I'll post pics and info as I make progress. Got these parts today, more tomorrow and the stroker kit next week. My camshaft is being designed and built as we speak, rear end housing is getting snouts welded in ..... Then it's tear down time!

So far these companies & people have helped me out above and beyond with this project so far.

Camburg Engineering
Ryan @ Dirt-Tech
Doug @ Desert Specialties
Hannemann Fiberglass
Scat Industries
Randys Ring & Pinion
Racer X Motorsports
Mike @ Race Ready
Shane @ Bilstein
Andy Sites
Aloha Jeff
...and Summit Racing for having great prices! haha

#59 · (Edited)
Here's a list of brand NEW and still in the box parts I have for sale if anyone is interested that I'm not using anymore.

1) Edelbrock 5.8L 88-96 EFI truck intake manifold $475 (retail is $590)
2) BBK twin 61mm 5.0/5.8 truck throttle body $275 (retail is $350)
3) Ford Racing 5.8L EFI mass airflow conversion kit $500 (retail is $680)
4) AutoFab 5.0/5.8 F-150/Bronco motor mounts $180 (retail is $240)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.