Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Fitting solid front axle in an f-150

8K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  87fomoco 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have been doing some reading and searching here and some other sites, but I cannot find the info I am looking for.

I have a 1991 F-150 and I want to throw in a solid front axle with leaf springs.
I do not care if I have to go 8 bolt. Heck I would rather go 8 bolt!!

Is there any leaf spung front axle that is a direct bolt in to a 91 f-150?
Also would the steering be the same also?

Thanks for any help
Ernie

#2 ·
get a dana 60 from and f-350 of the same era. it's as close to a direct bolt in as you're gonna get. you'll still have to punch out all the rivets that hold the ttb in place. if you go to a pick a part junk yard you can pull everything from the leaves to the hubs at once. then pay whatever they charge. usually it's a hella cheap to do it that way. case in point-my dana 44 i pulled from a 79 bronco i yanked the coils, radius arms, axle, tie rod, drag link and trac bar all for a whopping $50. if they pulled it it wouldve been over $400. you'll need the spring perches and mounts still.

#4 ·
they should yes. lots of guys on here have done the swap in just a weekend. the frames are very similar so if you can get everything taken off the f350 then it should all bolt up to the f150. you may have to do some minor welding for the perches. the shackles should bolt right up. theres a few threads on here in the sas section doing what youre wanting to do.

#6 ·
Thanks for the link and the info. Now I can search for a F350 in the local yards!!

I did some reading and searching but never found one that was about direct bolt in. thanks again for the link.

I was kinda hoping older stuff would work cause thats easier to find but i will see what I can dig up!

#8 ·
If you go coils to leafs there is no such thing as a bolt in. the previous thread link is bolted but thats a 500 dollar kit. I just put a solid 8 bolt dana 44 in my 1996 F150. i made my front mounts and had to reposition the spring perches. generally with any sas theres some fabrication required. especially when u go coil to leaf

#11 ·
Sorry I offended you by posting a general to the point question in what you think is the wrong section for this type of question.

I also did read most of the info in the link you posted but I did not see anything that had a direct bolt in using leafs, Sorry I must have missed it.

I am sorry if I annoyed everyone by asking my original question.
I figured that since I was not asking a question like "how do I put a solid axle in my truck" but instead I asked a specific question about the specs I gave on my truck that it would be better suited in the Forum area not a already filled up thread.

Sorry.

#12 ·
Every single d60 sas thread covers what year truck it came out of, and what needs to be done in order to get it under your bronco. There is much discussion as to witch years work better, and why. I feel like your question is slightly more specific than a how do I put this axle in my truck thread. The people that enjoy answering these questions read the newb section regularly. If all else fails, find a rig that you want to copy, and pm the owner questions. Don't worry. I will tire of this soon, as it seems to happen more frequently. Sorry about your bruised ego.

#13 ·
Every single d60 sas thread covers what year truck it came out of, and what needs to be done in order to get it under your bronco. There is much discussion as to witch years work better, and why. I feel like your question is slightly more specific than a how do I put this axle in my truck thread. The people that enjoy answering these questions read the newb section regularly. If all else fails, find a rig that you want to copy, and pm the owner questions. Don't worry. I will tire of this soon, as it seems to happen more frequently. Sorry about your bruised ego.
LOL Bruised my ego:toothless? I think I must have bruised yours. :cry

I am sorry if you get sick of people posting questions in a section devoted to them questions. It seems like you are posting in the threads telling people to use link to the newbie thread and other stickies. Why not just answer their questions? Isn't that what forums are for?:doh0715:

Seems like you don't even read the posts because I don't even have a bronco, as stated in my original posts. :banghead

I am glad the forums are not filled with people like you cause there would never be any help or info out there for people to gain from.:rockon

lifeizhard102205 was kind enough to help me out and I thank him greatly for it. :beer

And I did not come here trying to find someone to copy I came to find information on bolting a solid front axle into my truck using a leaf sprung donor with little to no extra costs.
I do not have a problem making parts but its cheaper for me to buy everything from the same vehicle than to have to keep trying to find certain parts. :whiteflag

:popc1:

#17 ·
You did not find any info on a direct bolt in (((Cause no such thing exist))) After all the research planning thinking replanning and thinking about it some more you can get started. There is going to be Fab work involved no matter what you do or come up with. No one that has not done this before is going to do it in a weekend and get it done right and SAFE. Yes a mid 90's axle will bolt in,after you do all the Fab work for it to bolt to. He is not telling you to just Copy someone Else's build but to use it as a guideline for yours and for you to see what is going to be involved in doing this swap.

Your ?? does belong in the newb section.

#19 ·
I do think I need to be spoonfed atleast for a lil bit!!!

I did read some of your build thread and did notice that you ran rear springs up front. Plus you are going for lift I am not.

I should have clarified that.
I do not want go go anymore than 3'' over stock height, this is a plow truck.

#22 ·
You know I am really beginning to wonder if you have anything positive to say or do you just troll the sas forum waiting for someone to ask a question so you can jump on them and tout them as a noob and post yet another link to the newb section. Get a life, people ask questions, not everyone was born with this knowledge. If you have nothing positive to say, keep your trap shut.

#23 ·
It's not that you have to have a lift....it's that by the time you swap in a solid axle and even factory height (0" lift) springs, you will end up with about 4-6" of lift (there are many variables). The ttb is tucked up in the frame pretty far, much further than you will be able to tuck a d60 up in there, for lots of reasons, engine cross member being the main one.

I believe you said this is a "plow truck"?? If that's the case, I would suggest you go with a coil d44 or a coil newer super duty 60.

This guy did a very clean sas with a newer d60, and didn't end up with too much lift: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162366&highlight=super+duty+coil+sas

It isn't 100% bolt-in but it's pretty close. If you do go that route, you will need a newer rear axle for the lug bolt patterns to match up. If you can find a 4x4 super duty with coils on the cheap (an old work truck or something) you should have everything (almost, again, many variables) you will need.

Spoon feeding over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.