Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Super Easy Dana 60 SAS - F250

94K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  RescueBronc 
#1 ·
This is literally a bolt on SAS, I'm posting it for a point of reference. The dana 60 and brackets came from a 96 F350.

Like all ford SAS the TTB has to go!

Torch makes for a fast removal, here we cut the U bolts

Cutting the pivot bolts

This is the track bar bracket from the F350, interesting how it mounts behind the axle.

Slide the 60 under the truck

The painted leafs are off of the f350, non painted leafs are from the F250

Notice the arch difference between the leafs.

Springs are mounted and the Dana 60 is hung from them.

At this point we are 4 hours in.

Company.

See less See more
#2 ·
That was too easy. Great pics. Are you going to be using the stock F350 track bar and steering too? Is this that D60 you posted a few weeks ago or is it another one?

#3 ·
These are the hubs off of the Dana 50, and if we are right they will bolt right on.

The spindle on the left is the dana 50 and the one on the right in the Dana 60 Dually.

Dana 50 left, 60 on the right.

Hub rebuilt with new bearings, selas and loaded with a new rotor.

Spindle installed

Just as we thought, the dana 50 hub bolted on with out issue

New bushings for the track bar

Check out the track bar!

#8 ·
The spindle on the left is the dana 50 and the one on the right in the Dana 60 Dually.
Two things, first it took me a while to figure out what the hell was on the end of the D60 spindle. :banghead

Second the difference in the back flange would make me a little scared to run that D50 on a D60.

I seam to recall a post by MR. N at some point in time covering this issue, but a quick search here and on PBB found nothing......

#6 ·
TTB 50... the solid D50 from the newer superduty trucks would be a different bolt pattern than the older 8-lug rigs.

#11 ·
These trucks are work trucks, not play trucks. The suspension doesn't move much. It keeps the axle center and takes the play out of the spring bushings and with out the springs would bend sideways,

Like when your using this.

#15 ·
Hey this thread has been very informative in my decision to purchase an f250. I plan to SAS and give it a bit of lift to run at least 38"s. I have a 96 f150 now with a 6 + 3 running 35"s but hate the TTB and want the 7.3 PSD. For better flex etc is it better to not run the trac bar? Will I be running the risk of damaging my front end components? Also, do the F350 springs lift it up at all or do they sag to pretty much the same height of stock?

Thanks,

Rob

#16 ·
You *need* the tracbar if you intend to drive it on the road. You can forget about flex; those trucks DO NOT flex AT ALL, with Ford's stupid A shackle setup on the front of the spring. Trust me, been there, done that.

The F350 springs are arched slightly higher, and are softer since the TTB requires a heaver spring rate to work. Youll only get about an inch of lift, but due to the nature of the suspension, its going to ride rougher. If you want it to ride decently, youll need to order a shackle reversal kit from someone like Sky Manufacturing, among others.

#17 ·
Thankyou for the quick reply, that is good to know about the trac bar. I planned on doing a shackle flip for the rear, but was unsure what to do for the front other then getting custom leafs. I will have to look at a few different vendors and find some prices :) I live in Ontario Canada though which unfortunately limits where I can buy sometimes.

That is dissapointing about the flex of the 250 but I think it will still work ok. My f150 is a standard cab short box with the TTB and it actually flexes decently. Going from that to this extended cab long box will be a rough go but it will make my towing easier along with being a little more versatile as a truck. I posted a large thread over on pirate4x4 about whether or not I should get the truck. I do not get to offroad with my truck as much as I would like to, and mostly just go with the atv's. The truck has a 3 inch body lift installed currently and is running 35"s. I do not think it would take much to get it sitting on 38"s but my ground clearance wont be near the same :(

#19 ·
Yep, A-shackle is discarded, and a new shackle that comes with the kit, is installed into the stock rear hangar. They flex better, but there is room for improvement. Mine is my daily driver/tow rig, so i am still running both sway bars, which doesnt help much for suspension travel either.

#20 ·
Well I was thinking An RSK with detachable sway bars and some type of detachable track bar and remove the over load leaf from the rear pack with a shackle flip. I want enough Height to run 37's will 4.5" get me there? I was also pondering a set of Alcan spring for the front with those pivot bushing in them depending on the price. I want to keep it low but with greater ground clearance. A 1000#+ motor up front concerns me about off camber situations.

Edit What RSK kit is that on your truck? (Brand and Hieght)

#22 ·

I am running the 3" Sky Manufacturing kit with stock PSD F350 springs, and 4" leaf packs from Skyjacker out back. 35s are a tight fit with the corner of the bumper, but i try not to wheel it (it seems to go on offroad recovery missions alot though) so i havent done anything. Anything bigger, and you should be trimming. My truck has the stock rake preserved with this combo of springs, so you could probably go up to 5" up front to level it. You should be able to fit 38s in there like that, especially if youre not afraid to trim a little bit. The Skyjackers are pretty stiff, but i need that since it tows the big one around. A shackle flip would probably lift it the same amount, but be prepared for axle wrap with the torque the PSD puts out. The stock F250 rear block is an inch shorter than the F350 one, so you could always switch em out if the rear ends up too short/tall. I have the F350 block in mine.

The shackle angle on the Sky kit is less than ideal, but it can be remedied by moving the stock rear spring hangar forward, say maybe an inch or so, maybe more if you add lifted springs to the mix. Id say to hold off on moving it until youre done with the front-end, and if you need a better angle then move it, so you dont end up moving it twice. As it sits now, i dont have much down-travel available to make a good grawler out of it. It is fine though for what i use the truck for.

Me personally, i wouldnt eliminate the tracbar, if anything id just fab up a longer one. The truck rides alot better with it, and its only gonna help keep the front axle under control when wheelin, plus it will help to steer those tires when offroad. The stock F350 springs are ok, but there are better options out there if you are really interested in flex. The gasser springs might work better than the diesel springs, but this isnt my wheeler, so i wanted the correct springs up there. Cant comment on the Alcans, although im sure the orbit eye will work well, as long as it can handle the weight of the PSD. The weight up front is pretty low so i dont think it will be a huge issue when off-camber, but every time mine's offroad its got a trailer hitched to it, so i dont do anything crazy with it.

#23 ·
those aren't stock bumpstops are they bossind...

if you all want your f350s to flex well, you will have to make them not f350s anymore...or wheel them fully loaded. stiff springs don't flex well.

fwiw i have never run a trackbar on my sas (which is just a copy of an f350 with an rsk)

thats about the most flex you will get from f350 leaves.

hi jack over. that looks like the swap was waaaay too easy

#29 ·
No trackbar on a KP D60, unless somehow you got ahold of a KP D60 from the mid-90's. Calipers would mount with slide pins like you stock TTB calipers mount if you got an '87-'91 (at least) axle, or with a slide pin up top and a plate, spring, and bolt on the bottom for an older 70's D60.

#32 · (Edited)
Glad I found this. Just picked up a D60 for $600 complete and want to do this swap on my '97 F-250. Did you cut any of the TTB saddle for clearance? Looks like the tracbar mount bolted to the back side with no cutting. Is it getting in the way or hitting at all when stuffed or fully loaded?

Also, do you have a parts list? My axle is complete including springs, brakes, etc. Looks like I'll only need the upper trac bar mount. Did you use your F-250 brake lines? Will they bolt to the F-350 Calipers?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.