Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Chop top bronco tease *pics*

21K views 52 replies 38 participants last post by  schwim 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
here's what i did with the extra top i bought for $40... not totally done yet...needs some fiberglass resin along some seams and some paint... i'm thinkin tan but might do blue to match the body... i love runnin topless but when drivng away from the sun going down the beach or wherever can suck at times ...but i sure dont want a full top on ... so i'm compromising

+++ it weighs less so i can remove by myself.... thinking about making some tinted plexiglass windows for the side that snap in with snaps or who knows.... will definately have some sort of tarp/toneau system to cover the cargo... maybe a bulkhead since the back window can still slide in the top....... not sure yet... this is not replacing my hard top full time (still have origional one whole in the garage) it's just an alternative to full topless

so what do you guys think ... ugly as hell? ... prequel to the avalanche?? ...cool?? just wondering... looks kinda funny to me still ...but it does what i want... kind of a form follows function kinda thing

wow just realized all my body damage :duh

See less See more
#7 ·
Jeff, as I sit pondering....what about getting an old tailgate, with motor and glass etc, and putting it in just behind the rear seat? that way you could close it up in bad weather or let it down when just riding......just a thought

#9 ·
GHOSTRIDER said:
Jeff, as I sit pondering....what about getting an old tailgate, with motor and glass etc, and putting it in just behind the rear seat? that way you could close it up in bad weather or let it down when just riding......just a thought

if you do that, then just chop the excess off, and make it a "mini" bronco.

#10 ·
very nice. i wanted to cut the center out of the spare one i got in the back yard & have a sliding cloth center cover that would accordian up so it can open & close. but i still feel it covers too much of my rear vision

#14 ·
Juice said:
i wont build one
then you aint gettin one.

it actually could be a pretty cool idea. like the avalenche i believe it is (but better) how you can covered seating for everyone, but still have a place you can haul dirt/ put large oversized items. may look kindof odd to the average person. but so do most things.

#16 ·
I like it. Plus, it's different so you get cool points for that regardless of whether people think it looks good. :thumbup

#17 ·
Pretty damned cool

opens up a host of possibilities. Picking up on Ghostrider's idea I was just in my buddy's Sport Trac tonight and it has a retractable rear window and power sunroof. You get a real turbo wind rush with both down.

I'm picturing a permanent welded wall behind the driver's seat (like a later El Camino) made to house a retractable Bronco rear window(or at least a glued in piece of glass).

The wedge shape behind the rear seat could house some serious boxed in woofers too.

Finally we could gut the rear tailgate and do things with it. Recess a compartment in there for a hi-lift jack. Recess the outside of the tailgate skin to french in a recessed license plate holder or a recessed stepped area for jerry cans, etc

Likin' it, good work Jeff

Sixlitre

#19 ·
Put some plexiglass in the side windows, and a custom made tonnau (Sp?) cover on the back half thats exposed... that would be awesome! Maybe figure some way to put some plexie in place of the back glass, and you could run the A/C and all too!

I like it myself...

#20 ·
lightnin said:
You did good work. I just don't like the look of it.
:stupid

#25 ·
Bronkzilla said:
very cool... that crossed my mind almost 2 years ago to the day..
creepy

LaNeR88 said:
i like it. how hard is that fiber glass to cut and what tool(s) did you use to cut it ?
used a 4 inch grinder with a metal grinding wheel on it... cut through it extremely fast. didn't splinter but made an ass load of dust... used a box fan to blow it away and should have worn a mask.. :brownbag ... i took lots o pictures during most of the process in case i feel like doing a write up.... seems there are lots of spare tops floating around and even if someone didn't use this design exactly it might help with some aspects of the transmation if anyone wanted to change their top

big mike said:
Thats ugly as shit.............................But I like it.
my sentiments exactly... and i love riding with it like this... night and day difference when you get the airflow but no sun on you

and yep this pretty much opens a can of worms for ideas on where to go from here... me personally... i'm not replacing the orig hard top... i'll still use it for our houston monsoons and part of the winter + no bulkhead for me i've been eyeng that 8 pt cage from S & W for a while now... once i paint this and everything done i'll probably leave it about how it is with maybe some snap in side windows for emergency rain...main concern nowis that i have to fix my front bumper... gonna redo it in 8" to look more like toddacimer's and dogonmut's because it was a $30 dollar quick fix when i hit a pole and crumpled the old one... and it's been on there way to frickin long... so maybe my car will look like less of a junker soon :chili:

thanks for the comments and ideas guys... :beer

#26 ·
Da da
Da da daaaaa
I'm luvin it!

How much did you cut out?
Would be nice to be able to enclose the back, but anything too big or permanent could be in the way of flipping the rear seat forward for those bigger loads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.