Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

More pics of my 351, and why Penzoil sucks.

34K views 101 replies 67 participants last post by  rexf 
#1 ·
Got my 351w on the Engine stand Over the weekend.
Removed some brackets and most of the thermactic system.
Unfortuanatly you will notice that it has a Penzoil filter on it. I can only assum that if it has a penzoil filter that it had Penzoil in it. :shrug

Pezoil and Quaker state (from what I am told) are Perafin wax based oils (made from dead plants instead of dinasours) These oils are notoriouse for building up perafin wax sludge.

I actually shouted "Holy Fu**i*g $h1t" when I took the lower intake off.

And these pics do it absoulutly now justice. There is an inch of sludge there.

I cant wait to see whats in the oul pan

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
No, i don't think you really want to know what the 'pan looks like. :shocked :shocked

#6 ·
rgus30 said:
looks like it has water in it also ? :shocked
Nope, no water.

Agily00 said:
All oil is made from dead plants, the dinosaur oil is a myth
:shrug Just saying what I was told :shrug
Are all Oils Perafin Wax based or are just Penzoil and Quaker state?

I run Mobil-1 Synthetic in my stuff

#9 ·
Hey Gacknar - did you find any yams in that muck? Sorry man, but at least you're going to have a killer engine when your done with it.

-unixdude :beer

#10 ·
penzoil will do that but quaker won't, the 350 i have in the camaro didn't have that buildup in the valley and i run quaker, actually all of my gas run with quaker oil except the ranger i wanted to run castrol. diesel i run rotella oil.

I have a buddy that ran penzoil and when we pulled the intake it looked just like your motor!! enjoy!!

Edit: that can also be cause by not changing the oil regularly.

#100 ·
don't be so quick to blame penzoil based on your one-time experience. oil sludge happens when you run the engine and the oil doesn't get to full temp. My father used quaker for over 15 years in his 91 5.8 with oil + filter change every 3,000mi. oil was up to temperature 99% of the time he drove it. removed pan and manifold during a rebuild and it was worse than yours. penzoil has been tested and proven to be a very superior oil.

#11 ·
That dude never changed his oil. When I rebuilt the 2.8L in my 91 S-10(because it siezed up on the PO) it looked at least that bad. I traded mine for a reman and the dude at Parts America said it was the worst motor he'd even seen that was still eligible for a core because nothing was actually broke.
What did you say that engine came out of? I just noticed it has the thermactor air in the manifolds not the back of the heads. Are you eliminating the thermactor/ smog crap?
Hope you have lots of Gojo hand cleaner.

#12 ·
RLKBOB said:
Are you eliminating the thermactor/ smog crap?
Yes, no more Thermactor, no smog pump

I dont know what it specificly is out of.
Can I look at a casting # to find out, if so where?
And where is the # that tells me wich heads I have?

#66 ·
Yes, no more Thermactor, no smog pump
I hate to call you out, but I think you shouldn't say that "removing the smog pump was a decision made by the previous owner." (Your dad...) That may have been the case with the original 302 in it, but not any other engines that have found their way in there like this 357W where you made the call.

Out of curiosity, why did you bother removing it? You seem rather proud to post that you pass emissions testing better than you ever did. With the pump, you would do better.

#14 ·
Mine was worse then that, but I thought it was because of extreme blowby as well?? Mine was hard and we dug it out with a spoon and filled a shoe box.
there should be a casting # on the heads on the back lower but still on the side if that makes any sense.

#15 ·
The Penzoil filters are Fram. That doesn't help either.

#21 ·
dan manly said:
where is this coming from?? its anything (we think because the only way to test is to wait a couple millions years) that its anything organic..........including bones.......even could be yours one day !!! lol
Oil is created from the decomposition and liquification of carbon based lifeforms under heat and pressure, and then migrates to traps and porous layers where it can be tapped. Technically, you could get oil from the decomposition of dinosaurs, but the scale of the pile of bodies that would be required to just make a few barrels would be staggering. The only thing that is/was available on that scale is plant material, and took millions of years to accumulate. There might be a dinosaur or two mixed in there, but the oil is not based off of them.

#77 ·
I have read some theories stating that it's also possibly a geological process...

But in any case, I don't believe the dino theory for just the reason you state. It would require too many dinos. And the vast geographical areas that oil is found (deep under the oceans to the shale in the Rocky Mountains) leads me to further doubt that.

#23 ·
Gacknar....

You have the ability to make it bigger, faster, stronger....

Please post a ton of pics during your rebuild, going to be looking for a used 351 in my neck of the woods soon....need all the pics i can get.

Just think how awesome your going to feel when you get the engine done and it runs like a champ. Don't let this get you down!

#24 ·
ok learned several things about this in my turbines class i agree with the guy above me

synthetic is the stuff made from plant material

mineral oils come from the ground of decomp crap(ok not literally crap but organic materials)

aparently castrol buys its crude from the cheapest source around....along with other companies maybe like pennzoil and quaker state etc.
unlike a company that has one source and sticks to it because they know its a good one

my proff also stated that the best ground based stuff came from Pennslyvania fields.....which doesnt happen anymore

this is all stuff that i remember you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish

#26 ·
moose is loose said:
Would Sea-Foam help with this type of build-up?
If I had installed this engine as is, and then put seafoam or ony other cleaning adidive it would have instantly cloged the filter and put it in bypass. Shortly after that it would have cloged the oil pump pickup.

kaudbron said:
synthetic is the stuff made from plant material
From what I understand (and the definition of synthetic) synthetic oil is completely man made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.