Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

motoxscott's Project Bronco Prerunner

184K views 378 replies 114 participants last post by  heffelfinger007 
#1 ·
Well since steve and a few others asked my to start my own thread here it is. Here are most of the older pics and new ones from this weekend. I also posted updated in this thread before starting this.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90741

Made a ton of progress on the Bronco over the weekend. It got the nick name grave digger since it's sitting a little tall right now ... haha Gonna change out the front coils and have Deaver de-arch the rears. I want the thing to sit low and wide. I still have quite a few things to do to it in the next couple of days and weeks. Had to get it driveable since I sold my 06 F150 to Drew at the shop.

Here are the specs and what I did so far .....

Rear Suspension:
Deaver F53 F-150 rear leaf springs (made spacers to go from 3" wide Bronco springs to 2.5")
Camburg F-150 MIG shackles
Bilstein 7100 remote 12" short body shocks in stock mounts

Front Suspension:
Camburg 4" extended & trussed 4wd housings with steering extensions
Camburg heim 4wd radius arms
4" coil springs
S/S brake lines
alignment cams
new upper & lower balljoints

Still got to finish up the front and get the Bilstein 7100's mounted up. I'm running duals up front. Also got to get 5/8" wheel studs on the truck so I can mount up my 37" rims & tires. The stock studs are 1" long and my wheels are 1" thick. I put about 35 hours worth of work into it after work fri-sun. I'll post more pics as I make progress.

- Scott

See less See more
#6 ·
I concur on the welds.

I understand the F150 springs are "flexier" :toothless than the Bronco springs.

loook forward to seeing the front suspension photos...since thats what I'm working on now.

#9 ·
They do get more travel , but a big factor for me was that Deaver dosent make the 3 inch lift bronco spring anymore,only the 6. And I stopped using National Spring after they changed owners a few times and started selling fabtech and rancho stuff. You can also run uniballs in the 2.5" springs too. We will see how long they last. Steve is right about the sway, but its not to bad. Oh Scott, before you have those re-arched fill the tank,throw in a spare tire, and take those wedge blocks out. Just move the rearend pads for pinion angle cause those cast pads shear the lineup pin sometimes, plus it will be an inch lower. Should sit perfect.

#11 ·
Steve ... I plan on setting it up for coilovers down the road once I cage it. Until then I'll run the Bilstein 7100's. Shane @ Bilstein set me up with some custom valving so it should work pretty good.

Mark ... thanks for the heads up. I'll hold off until I get the full floater rear end in and lose those pinion blocks. You have my steering ready yet? :)

Here are a few pics I snapped today when I was installing new front calipers. Should get the different front coils in the next day or two and then I'll mount up the front shocks.

The rear of the Bronco feels completely different, so far I'm really happy with it. It actually moves up and down now !!

It's still a work in progress. Jason here came up with some ideas for front hubs so you might see something pretty trick. He did something similar for his explorer he built.

...... and yes I know it's dirty and needs to be washed ... haha

- Scott

#15 ·
No plans on taking it down to the 1000 Ollie. I still have a ton of things I want to do to it before it makes a trip longer than to work and back .. haha

I'm gonna pull the tranny soon and have Steve Culhane build it up, I already have a winters gate shifter for it, put a full floater rear end with 5.13 gears, I have AutoFab motor mounts I still need to install, want to build a center console for race radios, GPS, etc and then mount 4 race seats in it, build front & rear bumpers, build a roof rack to hold a spare tire, jack, cooler and light rack above the windshield like our race truck, install motor stuff I already have, get it painted ..... the list goes on forever ... haha

GKR yea I built the core supports when I installed the front glass.

Thanks 4 the comments everyone. Its awesome to see it coming around.

- Scott

#19 ·
Havent made much progress since we've been getting ready for this weekends Offroad Expo show and the BITD race the same weekend.

The colors you see are the heat marks from the MIG welding. You can tell it's not a cold weld that way or triggered. That's what gives it that awesome look. Id like to keep them raw but they will rust quick down here by the beach.

Not sure when the 1st trip out with it will be, I still have a lot of work to do to it to get it to that point.

- scott

#21 ·
ExCom Yes i have the performance system from Camburg and the 35s fit rather well. They do get some minor rub especially when twisted up on trails. Running in the desert though I have only had min rubbing. The bigger problem is rubbing on the tub in the rear. Once I go to fiberglass I am going to look into a different offset or 1/2'' wheel spacers. I also did have to space the fron bumper and do some trimming. Sorry the PM did not work let me know if you need more info and I will PM you. Thought I would post this in open forum incase anyone else was wondering about the tires.

#23 ·
Excom, the rear wheels will rub/scrape against the inner tub of the body (exterior of the wheel well.
As far as my offset I am not sure, the rims are 15x10 american racing.
The only trimming done on the front bumper, I did not need to take off as much as I did though. Probably a 1'' on each end this was a stock bunper as well.

I have had the tires at different times rub/make contact with fender openings but only when twisted up a bit. The best case scenario is go with fiberglass but the 35s can be run without it. I am working on the pics you requested as well. I wil try and get a PM off later today for you.
Jeremy

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...............

#24 ·
Well I finally got my 37" BFG projects & KMC's on last night. I had to install 5/8 wheel studs and I had some 2" wheel spacers made for the rear until I get a new rear end in a couple weeks. I'm gonna try and lower the ride height a little if possible.

- Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.