Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

90 Oil pressure switch replacement

44K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Seattle FSB 
#1 ·
Sorry, no photos here, but I want to add this because it might help someone else.

My oil pressure gauge was reading on the "N" of the NORMAL range. After doing some research it seemed like it could be the oil pressure switch, also known as a sensor or sending unit.

To test: Disconnect the wire from the switch, ground it to the truck and turn the key on. If your gauge quickly moves to the left, the problem is most likely the switch. The switch on my 5.8 is located near the oil filter. It is in a difficult spot to work on so I advise that you go to NAPA and get an Oil Pressure Switch socket to do the job. The cost is about $7-$8, this will save you time and will help you reinstall the new switch.

Wrap some teflon tape around the threads and install. Make sure that it is in tight, I don't know about torque specs, I just put mine in quite snug. Hook the wire back on and start your engine. For me it was the cure. My oil pressure now reads over near the "M" on NORMAL. Good luck.

#2 ·
Sweet Sweet Cuppin' Cakes........I'm gonna have to give this little test a try and see what I get. Mine currently sits at the N of Normal too, I thought maybe it was low on oil but after checking, it wasn't. I was a bit confused and worried until now. I then thought it may be the sender but wasn't sure how to go about it. Thanks. :thumbup

#3 ·
I hope this solves your problem. I highly recommend getting the sensor socket to take your old sensor out. I took mine out with a regular socket and some vice grips, this was a real PITA because there just isn't much room to work. The lower radiator hose was in the way too but I used a bungie to hold it over to the side. When I went to Napa to get a new sensor, the guy showed me the socket. It made installing the new sensor a three-minute job. Good luck.

#5 ·
The extension is most likely a hollow (for oil passage), hex shaped and threaded for the block and oil pressure sender. Removing the pressure sender allows one to screw the extension into the block and thread the p/sender onto the other end. This moves your sender away from the filter for easier access. I often see them at the recycling yard.

PS: If you get one from a donor vehicle, ensure it's not been "glassed" due to the ill-advised clunker program.

#12 ·
Thanks for the advise on the sending unit socket, I'm going to have to get one of those when I get the new switch. right now mine bounces from the "M" to Low pressure and every where in between. i have plenty of oil in there and it doesn't seem to be losing pressure at but the switch is driving me crazy. think I'll replace it today.

#13 ·
You can steal the extension off just about ANY of the V6 Ford motors. Some are longer than others. I like to swipe them from the junk-azz 2.9 in the RBVs.

#14 ·
awesome i noticed the other day mine fluxuates from n to a i thought sludge dropped pan cleaned up and new oil pump to have the same results it was the damn sending unit switch thingy also mine was doing it cause of a bad connection the new one did it until i cleaned the connections

#16 ·
Waking up a year old thread is stupid sometimes, but I have to add that dropping the oil pan, cleaning out all the crap, $25 pump, a new screen, and a new switch will let me sleep better. You don't even have to put in a new pump and screen, just clean it up and put it back. Knowing as much as possible is obviously better than wondering if things are really ok in there.
That's my dollar's worth. For the newbs

#17 ·
hey can some one help me. my truck reads fine before it warms up. the needle stays on M for a while. once the truck warms up it stays at M until i let off the gas. then it bounces a little and starts to drop to the red. i freaked to first time i saw this cause i just got the truck 4 days ago. but the engine does not change at all in sound or proformance. i drove it all day like this and nothing changes but the guage. also a little off toppic but is it ok for my batt guage to be on N of NORMAL? thanks for any help. i can take as much as i can get

#18 ·
Did you need to drain any oil before taking off the oil sending unit? I just got a "real" electric oil pressure gauge and I'm using Sixlitre's plumbing writeup to keep the dash gauge working.

One minor difference is I don't have an extension or "hollow". I may just use a 2-4" nipple to get it away from the block...thoughts?

#20 ·
Thanks for the pics. Yours looks different than mine. My oil filter is in some kind of bracket and its preventing me from getting the socket around the sending unit. Anyone else have issues getting the socket on the sending unit on the 5.8?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.